[net.comics] Kitty and Wolverine

afo@pucc-k (Flidais) (12/02/84)

(Hey!  Flip that tape!)

Oh, gee, and here I forgot to include anything about Kitty and
Wolverine #5....

Why does this just keep getting better?  Is it that during the times
when the later issues were plotted, Jim Shooter was at a convention,
or something?  I'm not saying that these issues are works of art,
but they are a lot better than this series had promised.  I do see
now that Kitty was planning on taking on Ogun, rather than trotting
off to Professor Xavier's.  So, I thought I would provide a plot
synopsis on how I would have liked it to go.... (switch into heavy
fantasy mode)

        Kitty goes home, and Wolverine finds himself to take on the
	Yakuza.  Figuring he might need some help in the matter, he
	calls up Puck in Canada.  Over a couple of Kirins,they
	decide on how to deal with the Yakuza.  Of course Yukio
	comes along for the fun and games, after safely depositing
	Kitty's silly father somewhere  fun (good chance for a
	reasonable sight gag here;  I think he ought to be trussed up
	like the Thanksgiving turkey and deposited on the steps of
	the Tokyo police with a note to contact the Feds).

	Okay.  Now, Wolvie, Puck, and Yukio break up to attack the
	headquarters.  Yukio comes in from the roof top, while Puck
	sneaks in through the tunnels under the place (I'll figure
	out where they got the tunnels later..).  Wolverine just
	rings the bell, and offs the doorman to get in.  Yukio runs
	into the the Sumo wrestler, and stuffs him so full of poison
	blades that he falls through the glass window and splatters
	all over the street below.  Puck runs into a bevy of the
	female bodyguards, and having no compunctions about fighting
	with women, renders them to hamburger (while regaling the
	readers with stories about his past exploits). {BTW, I
	*could* see Puck using implements other than knives and
	other variants of blades:  the sight of Puck with a 45
	Magnum loaded with hollow-heads is not too hard to imagine.
	I don't think that he is the type to cleanly insert
	bread-knives between the 5th and 6th ribs}.  Anyway,
	Wolverine gets to the office where the old boy is; with
	Ogun.  Ogun obligingly lets Wolverine pop his claws into the
	old boy (after all, he doesn't have an exclusive contact),
	and then congratulates Wolverine before getting into the
	joint and offing everyone; right before he makes the remark
	that it's a good time to see if the pupil has become as
	proficient as the teacher.  A nice few remarks about the
	bestial nature of Wolverine, and how that ,as a hero after
	all, he shouldn't have let himself fall as far as his
	teacher (standard plot, with a different answer). Anyway,
	Wolverine  gives the non-standard answer about having to use
	the tactics of whom your fighting to prevail; right before
	the fight scene.  Now, optimally, the fight should take up
	about six pages or so of non-discussive text.  No word
	balloons, just some descriptives at the bottom.  Of course we
	need all the nifty sais, tiger claws, swords etc...
	However, since Wolverine does give in to his bestial nature,
	and doesn't 'fight fair' (like the rest of the Marvel
	universe), he does finally pops the claws into Ogun, who
	then gives a scream that alerts Yukio and Puck as to what
	has just gone down (besides possibly most of Tokyo).  After
	making a closing remark on what it *does* take to kill a
	demon, he obligingly dies.  Wolverine, Yukio, and Puck
	quietly survey the scene before they hear the sirens of the
	Tokyo police, who arrive to investigate just in time to see
	the threesome leap off into the night.

	I figure after this, Wolverine decides to stay in Japan, and
	he, Puck and Yukio decide to go (back?) into the mercenary
	business. The continuing exploits of the three would make a
	great series (of course the comics code people would have
	kittens, but we can figure that out later).

Comments? (do I get my script-writng badge now?)

--
Laurie Sefton
{harpo,ihnp4,allegra,decvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!afo

~As he lay out the tarot, the devil and death, two old and very dear
friends of mine, appeared.~

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (12/06/84)

In article <663@pucc-k> afo@pucc-k (Flidais) writes:
>off to Professor Xavier's.  So, I thought I would provide a plot
>synopsis on how I would have liked it to go.... (switch into heavy
>fantasy mode)
>
>	....  Now, Wolvie, Puck, and Yukio break up to attack the
>	headquarters.

	What follows is an orgy of destruction; Yukio filling
	someone with poisoned blades, Puck hacking and shooting
	a bevy of female bodyguards, Wolverine popping his claws
	into several people...
>	..., he obligingly dies.  Wolverine, Yukio, and Puck
>	quietly survey the scene before they hear the sirens of the
>	Tokyo police, who arrive to investigate just in time to see
>	the threesome leap off into the night.
>
>	I figure after this, Wolverine decides to stay in Japan, and
>	he, Puck and Yukio decide to go (back?) into the mercenary
>	business. The continuing exploits of the three would make a
>	great series ...
>Comments? (do I get my script-writng badge now?)

Nice comment :  Kudos for writing an alternate ending;  it's a nice
change from the reviews everyone writes.

Alas, a comment which no one likes to hear: But, I really disliked what
you wrote.

	Gee.  First of all, I LIKE KITTY and am glad they are keeping
	her around.  As a genuine teenager (not some super-powered
	teen-titan punk) she is both believable and interesting.

	Then:  What is so interesting about a 6-page no-dialog fight
	scene?  One page, yes:  I could see someone like Spain drawing
	it in a fashion similar to his "Trashman:  Agent of the Sixth
	International" pages.  But six?  VERY hard to keep up
	one's interest:  it's almost impossible to show plot
	development in a protracted fight scene WITHOUT dialog.

	I know of many places where I enjoyed a moment of comic book
	violence which would never have gotten past the Comics Code
	in the old days.
		For example, Daredevil dropping Bullseye onto the
	tracks (very out of character for DD);  Elektra stabbing
	the reporter in "Spiked" .  Everyone's favorite killer,
	Wolverine, in the "God loves, Man kills" graphics novel,
	threatening to spike one of the anti-mutant death-squad
	if they didn't talk.  This violence is effective because it
	is EVIL.
		DareDevil spends most of the Elektra/Bullseye
	subsequence on the edge of sanity, trying to reconcile his
	belief in the law with his emotional tendency to vigilante
	action.
		Elektra kills a perfectly normal, middle-aged man
	with a wife, after we've spent the whole issue becoming
	acquainted with him (actually they moved the panel showing
	him in the hospital and confessing that he'd "spiked" the
	Kingpin story to the next issue, but we BELIEVE he's dead).
		Wolverine has said, many times "I'm the best at what I do.
	But what I do isn't very nice.", and given indications of
	a very strong sense of honor and personal responsibility
	for his actions.  I like Wolverine because he restrains what
	he is capable of, not because he generally acts like a
	berserker for hire.

		Violence is not enough.  Trite as it sounds, you need
	"good", "love", "honor" and all those other concepts
	to make the story interesting.
--
"But Dinsdale...Dinsdale used <pause> sarcasm!"
	we all know where this quote came from, don't we?

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706

{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (12/08/84)

>       After
> 	making a closing remark on what it *does* take to kill a
>       demon, he obligingly dies.

Aha, now we know!

Silver bullets to kill a werewolf,
Wooden stake to kill a vampire,
Adamantium claws to kill a demon!

No wonder demons have survived for so long!

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi