[net.comics] Some GodAwful News

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/05/84)

Just out of the latest issue of the Comic Buyers Guide: Starting in April of
'85, coming your way...

	SECRET WARS II

Written by Jim ("Sloppy") Shooter, Drawn by Sal ("Even Sloppier") Buscema,
inked by Steve ("Deserves Better") Leilahola.

What I particularly found funny was Shooter's quote that the new series was
in answer to an "unprecedented" number of letters asking for more (note: I
have several friends w/ 10 year olds who read comics -- almost all of them
read & love SECRET WARS; perhaps this is true).

And yes, it will tie up most of the major titles with this gibberish.

In the words of Popeye: "I yam disgustipated."

				"The voters have spoken, the bastards..."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

ma155abl@sdcc7.UUCP (Nick Flor) (12/08/84)

"If this is so, then we are truly doomed"

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (12/10/84)

> Just out of the latest issue of the Comic Buyers Guide: Starting in April of
> '85, coming your way...
>
> 	SECRET WARS II
>
> Written by Jim ("Sloppy") Shooter, Drawn by Sal ("Even Sloppier") Buscema,
> inked by Steve ("Deserves Better") Leilahola.

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel sick.  Shooter deserves a .44 magnum slug between the eyes for this one.
(Where's Clint Eastwood when you need him?)

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (12/10/84)

I agree that it is a Bad Thing that there will be a Secret Wars II.
Remember, though, if you bought SW, you have no one but yourself to blame.
Don't repeat your mistake!  I didn't even buy the first series, even though
I do read X-Men and Iron Man, and was at the time it came out reading FF,
Spider-titles, and Captain America.  No, I didn't feel like I was missing
anything, and I have no intention of buying back issues.  What I don't
understand is why anyone would feel obligated to support this dreck.  The
continuity with other titles is just a cynical sales ploy.  According to
Marvel, the tie-ins to this idiocy will be far more intimate.  They know how
to sell to fans.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (12/12/84)

See if you can guess what comic book series this refers to:

"He comes to earth and takes on human form, seeking to taste humanity.
We're going to explore the philosophical essence of what it is to be human.
When a being of near-infinite power ... chooses to become a man, the
possibilities and dangers presented are endless.  All of us on the creative
team ... believe we have not only a great story here but an important story
as well.  Our intention is to create something wonderful and unforgettable."

Any guesses?  If you said The Silver Surfer, you get a no-prize for spotting
the original source of the plot for the forthcoming Secret Wars II series.
Yes, that's Shooter describing what will happen to the Beyonder in that
series.

The more things change, the more they stay the same; and nowhere more so
than at Marvel.

If they really had any concern with showing what real humanity is like, they
would be writing about real humans (as in "Love and Rockets"), not these
idiotic cosmic beings....  But that wouldn't sell.  I'd say it's pretty
clear where their priorities lie.

It will also be harder to ignore this series.  I was overjoyed than Denny
O'Neil and J. M. DeMatteis deliberately played down the importance of Secret
Wars in Iron Man and Captain America, particularly when Cap's only comment
on the subject was "I'd rather not talk about it, Nomad."  This time, the
series will be an integral part of the continuity of two dozen titles, with
each issue leading directly into issues of several other Marvel comics.
Regardless, I will not buy it; I refuse to be coerced into buying trash.

You would already know this stuff if you read the Comic Buyer's Guide.
What's more, you would have seen me tearing out and feasting on the heart of
the "Machine Man" series in September in the letters column.  Shame on you.
-=-

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/15/84)

In article <20980028@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:
>See if you can guess what comic book series this refers to:
>
>"He comes to earth and takes on human form, seeking to taste humanity.
>We're going to explore the philosophical essence of what it is to be human.
>When a being of near-infinite power ... chooses to become a man, the
>possibilities and dangers presented are endless.  All of us on the creative
>team ... believe we have not only a great story here but an important story
>as well.  Our intention is to create something wonderful and unforgettable."
>
>Any guesses?  If you said The Silver Surfer, you get a no-prize for spotting
>the original source of the plot for the forthcoming Secret Wars II series.

Actually, it sounds almost *exactly* like John Carpenter's description of
the synopsis of his new film, STARMAN.

>The more things change, the more they stay the same; and nowhere more so
>than at Marvel.

...or in Hollywood...

>You would already know this stuff if you read the Comic Buyer's Guide.
>What's more, you would have seen me tearing out and feasting on the heart of
>the "Machine Man" series in September in the letters column.  Shame on you.
>-=-
>Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center

Well, yes, I read CBG, but I must have missed this, which may not have been
a bad thing... I have a week stomach around sloppy eaters (and this coming
from somebody with *my* table manners!).  Betch even ate it raw...

				"You'd do it for Randolph Scott."
				(chorus) "*gasp* RANDOLPH SCOTT!"