[net.comics] Ghostbusters & Copyright

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (12/17/84)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

How many of you haver seen _Nosferatu_, a silent film
made in Germany in the 1920's?
It is the same plot and characters as the book _Dracula_
by Bram Stoker.  In fact, in modern prints the vampire is
actually called "Dracula" I believe, but in the original he
was called "Orloff" or something.

Anyway, Stoker's estate sued for copyright infringement,
and forced the movie out of the theaters.  For years
it was mentioned as having existed, but it could not be shown.
Now it does show up at SF conventions, etc., so I suppose
the copyright has finally run out.

Does this mean we will have to wait 50 years to see
_Ghostbusters_ again?

I am admittedly not a legal expert, but I would guess that
the Disney copyright infringement claim might be hard to
back up, since there have been many humorous ghost-exterminator
movies and stories over the years.

The Harvey claim is, I believe, for Trademark infringement,
and looks much stronger. I know that when I first saw the GB
logo the ghost looked awfully familiar...

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

ecl@ahuta.UUCP (e.leeper) (12/19/84)

REFERENCES:  <4783@rochester.UUCP>

 >How many of you haver seen _Nosferatu_, a silent film made
 >in Germany in the 1920's?  It is the same plot and
 >characters as the book _Dracula_ by Bram Stoker.  In fact,
 >in modern prints the vampire is actually called "Dracula" I
 >believe, but in the original he was called "Orloff" or
 >something.

It is available on videocassette for $19.95 which strongly implies that
it is in public domain.  The name is Orlock, though most versions now
say Dracula.

					(Evelyn C. Leeper for)
					Mark R. Leeper
					...ihnp4!lznv!mrl