[net.comics] More bad news

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/20/84)

Once again, from the ever-infallible Comics Buyer's Guide (with my
all-seeing editorial Eye of Eccentricy comment's):

   Next to First Comics, I've always considered Aardvark-Vanaheim to be the
   finest comic company in the marketplace.  AV has been adding a growing
   number of impressive comics to its roster, and now has the most
   impressive line-up (even with the loss of the excellent JOURNEY) next to
   First.  Unfortunately, Deni Loubert (nee Sim) is resigning as publisher
   of AV as of April 1st.  She will be forming her own publishing company,
   Renegade Press, and (by mutual agreement with Dave Sim) taking NORMALMAN,
   MS. TREE, FLAMING CARROT and NEIL THE HORSE to the Renegade masthead, as
   well as Gene Day's BLACK ZEPPELIN.

   While I'm sure Renegade Press will do well (Loubert's skill with AV is
   attestment enough to this), I am a bit worried about the success of
   CEREBUS (and it's companion magazines, SWORDS OF CEREBUS and CEREBUS JAM)
   without Loubert's canny business skills.  Sim has always struck me as
   much more involved in the artistic skills than the business end.

At any rate, I hope both of them continue to succeed.

        "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the dark."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (12/24/84)

>      Unfortunately, Deni Loubert (nee Sim) is resigning as publisher

Aha! Another misuse of an obscure english word!
"Nee" comes from the French root for "born", since
it refers to someone's name at birth.

Thus, while Dave and Deni were still married, she was
Deni Sim, nee Loubert.

Now that they are divorced, she has taken her old
last name back and it again Deni Loubert.

Incidentally, a couple of months ago, the mastheads on
the AV books all started to say "Dave Sim, President"
above the "Deni Loubert, Publisher" line.
Not sure what this meant at the time, and now it looks
like it won't matter.

As long as you're here, how about a joke?

A woman goes into the Welfare Office to fill out a form,
and signs it "O".
The case worker says, "When you were in a few months
ago, you signed the form "X".
She replies,
"I got divorced, and took back my maiden name."

Merry Christmas, etc.
See you (or actually read you)
all after the start of the New Year.

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/31/84)

In article <4971@rochester.UUCP> ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP writes:
>>      Unfortunately, Deni Loubert (nee Sim) is resigning as publisher
>
>Aha! Another misuse of an obscure english word!
>"Nee" comes from the French root for "born", since
>it refers to someone's name at birth.
>Mike Ciaraldi

AHG!!

I scwewed up again!  I toss myself onto my stainless steel Kubuki knife ("It
slices! It dices! It punctures cleanly..."), in the name of honor and
excellence and the Olympic Ideal (i.e. Nike) and Sam Waterson and God and
Motherhood and Fatherhood...

...but of course, I'll return in SECRET WARS #2...

				"You'd do it for Randolph Scott."
				(chorus) "*gasp* RANDOLPH SCOTT!"