[net.comics] 2 Months of Comments!

lmaher@uokvax.UUCP (12/24/84)

<"The grave is a mutant's only lasting sanctuary.">

I'm back from Fermilab for a week and have read the last two
months' postings for net.comics in a single sitting, and here
are my off-the-cuff responses.  I did find a number of good
comic shops in the Batavia, IL area, but as usual my reviews
would largely echo those of Jeff, Jerry, and Laurie - the Three
Musketeers of Comics Reviewing. :-)

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / pur-phy!dub / 12:34 am  Oct 31, 1984 */
>
>      If the readers (who buy the SW's) look on pages 10 & 11 you'll
> see something weird.  We have a conflict between Logan and Cap.
>      Can you really blame Logan for his thoughts?  Still, a battle
> between those two might have have been rather good (interesting)!

Much as I admire Wolverine (after all, I'm the president of his
fan club :-) ) I think he'd lose against Captain America.  Logan
is the ultimate killing machine ("I'm the best there is at what
I do; but what I do isn't very nice.") but Cap is the ultimate
fighting machine, and he has the shield to protect him from Logan's
claws.  Then again, I don't see how Logan can be stopped without
killing him, and Cap doesn't kill.  But I'm sure Cap would find
a way...

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / usceast!ted /  5:08 pm  Nov  6, 1984 */
> Kitty and Wolverine 4:
> 	It's probably too late in the series, but I want to see Kitty's
> 	father go through a sea change.  Who says you have to be a mutant
> 	to confront danger , grow and change. After all, he is unattached
> 	now - how about Kitty's father and Yukio for a perfect couple?
> 	(I'm not more than 25% kidding - they've already interacted
> 	and his trying to meet her standards would be a step in the
> 	right direction for him)

HA! There's *no* way this is going to happen.  Some men are born
heroes, and some men become heroes, but some men are pathetic slugs
unable to even understand heroes, far less become one, and I feel
Mr. Pryde is the latter.  Perhaps I'm being too harsh on him, and
I'll admit the idea of Yukio being a stepmother for Kitty appeals
to my deeply ingrained sense of weird rightness, but the best thing
we can hope for Mr. Pryde is to someday die well.

Yukio as Kitty's stepmom??!!?  More on this in a later article...

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / pur-phy!dub /  1:44 am  Nov 20, 1984 */
>
> 	A little while ago, Jerry suggested that Storm (of the X-men)
> might eventually become Dr. Strange's apprentise.  He cited the scene
> in the Majik limited series where we see Storm (with a mohawk) getting
> defeated by Belasco.  This struck me as hitting the nail on the head.
> It would appear that Storm and the Master of the Mystic Arts are
> bond to miss each other.

My best guess is that after Storm teams up with Lady Daemon and
discovers her heritage in the village of African Shamenesses
(Shawomen??) she'll return to Forge for further tutoring in magic,
or possibly both of them will get taught by Naze.  I don't see
Dr. Strange as her teacher but it's possible.  She'll then return
to Limbo and die there, and the Storm from Limbo will return to
our Earth, and take her place, with weather powers intact (since
they were never neutralized).  The last prediction is very shaky,
but I'm fairly confident on the earlier ones.  There'll be a Storm
mini-series in there somewhere, but hopefully Claremont'll stretch
this out a bit and not cram it into four months of miniseries.
A more distant possibility is that Storm will teach herself Majik
(to coin a term for what is used in Limbo), the elder teaching the
younger.  Then the younger will take the elder's place in the
confrontation with Belasco because she is either overconfident
or not sufficiently at peace with herself not to try and save
Cat.

Never let it be said that I wasn't willing to go out on a limb!
(What's Moriarty doing with that saw? No, wait...!)

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / pur-phy!dub / 10:52 am  Nov 21, 1984 */
> article is about your friend and mine...Dr. Victor von Doom.
> 	Doom has really mellowed out in the last couple of years.
> He has become concerned with people and treats Reed as a scientific
> equal.  Who knows, Doom might someday come to conduct himself just
> like Reed.  I am not saying that he will ever give up his ideas of
> total world control or his vestiage of conquest, but he shows
> real possibilities of change.

I think Doom may be undergoing the same process as Magneto.  Both
are noble men who sought to correct injustice through force, and
have failed again and again through the intervention of worthy
opponents.  As they grow older they start to question their
earlier methods, and perhaps even try other methods of achieving
their goals.  Doom actually did conquor the world once, and found
it so dull that he allowed Magneto a chance to wrest it away from
him, with the result that the world was freed.  Magneto wants a
world where human and mutants alike can live in harmony, and sees
no price too high to pay for that golden era.  He has long tried
to conquor the world and force it to be at peace, but as he gets
older (he was a child in Auschwitz so mentally he's at least in
his late 40's, and more likely mid 50's.  Physically he was
restored to his prime by Shakari 80 or 90 issues ago).  Doctor
Doom is even older, since he's a contemporary of Reed Richards,
who fought in World War II.  But Doom, too, has a restored youth,
since he took over that young man's body in a recent FF.  It's
not implausible that both Doom and Magneto will outlive their
original opponents, and face a new generation of heroes, and
*still* be unable to bring the world together.  I see both of
them not so much as villains anymore as tragic heroes whose flaws
have made the world consider them villains.  It'll be interesting
to see the effect Aletys Forrestor will have on Magneto; I
predict they'll marry and have a child.  And if Dr. Doom does
have a new body and unmarred face, perhaps he can lay aside the
armor on occasion, although I imagine he's become so dependent on
it after all these years that he'd never dream of going without
it.  "Doom, dependent on anything?!  Never!  My armor is a tool,
not a crutch, and Doom needs no crutch, ever!" It would be fun to
see Doom infiltrate the FF HQ sans Armor; they certainly wouldn't
recognize him now.

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / vax2!moriarty / 12:55 pm  Nov 27, 1984 */
> Probably correct, at least in the case of Claremont.  I think CC has always
> felt that it was time some female characters were more prominently
> characterized (for comics, anyway).  People who have grown up with lots of
> In fact, how about a list of well-done female characters:
>
> Everyone in "Mechanics" in LOVE & ROCKETS
> Jenny in ZOT!
> Abby in SWAMP THING
> Ororo, Kitty, Rogue, and others by CC (also his old SPIDER-WOMAN comics)

To add my favorites to Jeff's list:  Evangeline, Shapeshifter,
Anne (from "God Loves, Man Kills"), Tessa (the real brains behind
the Hellfire Club, heh heh), Yukio, Heather Hudson, and the Huntress,
when done right.  There's more, but we'll leave it at that for now.

> I can list many others, but I have to get back to work :-)

Come on, Moriarty.  We know that in fact you work for Fluke doing
nothing but reading and posting articles, as a part of their P.R.
department to give the impression that Fluke is full of witty,
interesting people.  In fact, you're probably a group of people
(considering your output!), each using a different sign-off
quote to distinguish among themselves.  :-)

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / pucc-k!afo / 12:44 am  Dec  3, 1984 */
> Oh, gee, and here I forgot to include anything about Kitty and
> Wolverine #5....
>
> Why does this just keep getting better?  Is it that during the times
> ... So, I thought I would provide a plot synopsis on how I would
> have liked it to go....

	... [Laurie's fantasy deleted] ...
> 	the tactics of whom your fighting to prevail; right before
> 	the fight scene.  Now, optimally, the fight should take up
> 	about six pages or so of non-discussive text.  No word
> 	balloons, just some descriptives at the bottom.  Of course we
> 	need all the nifty sais, tiger claws, swords etc...

Preferably with someone better suited to that kind of art than
Milgrom.

> 	However, since Wolverine does give in to his bestial nature,
> 	and doesn't 'fight fair' (like the rest of the Marvel
> 	universe), he does finally pops the claws into Ogun, who
>	[dies]...
> 	the threesome leap off into the night.
>
> 	I figure after this, Wolverine decides to stay in Japan, and
> 	he, Puck and Yukio decide to go (back?) into the mercenary
> 	business. The continuing exploits of the three would make a
> 	great series ...
> Comments?

Better yet, they also get the more blood-thirsty of the New
Mutants (definitely Danielle and Rachel, maybe Amara, and
certainly Kitty if she remains Shadowcat) to come over to
Japan for training as well.  In between training and
(lucrative) missions, they plot out a course of action to
prevent the U.S. from going down the path of horror that
Rachel's timeline did.  All it takes is the proper amount
of ruthlessness and subtlety - a senator has a fatal crash
here, compromising documents are shown to a general to enlist
his support, a key aide is suborned there.  As a sideline,
the Yakuza can be brought in under their banner, or destroyed.
Rachel can be trained in Ninjutsu (A telepathic Ninja has got
to be very nasty indeed), and I suppose Akiko could too.  I
don't think Logan would want Akiko involved, but a certain
amount of attitude is bound to rub off.  When (excuse me, if)
Yukio has her daughter, she can be trained too.

What you get is a cadre of very dangerous mutants not hampered
by heroic codes or villainous hangups, and sooner or later
they're bound to collide with their former colleagues, with
resulting fireworks.  It would be a magnificent storyline,
and there's not the slightest chance in the world we'll ever
see it.  ***sigh***

But a good thought nonetheless, Laurie.

>	(of course the comics code people would have
> 	kittens, but we can figure that out later).

The CCA is dead in all but name.  If secret wars can show
vivisection then the X-Men can show mutant subtlety.

> (do I get my script-writng badge now?)

Something like a no-prize, I presume?... :-)

> Laurie Sefton
> ~As he lay out the tarot, the devil and death, two old and very dear
> friends of mine, appeared.~

I like this quote, is it from a published work?

> /***** uokvax:net.comics / decwrl!boyajian /  6:50 pm  Dec 14, 1984 */
> > From:	CS-Mordred!Pucc-H:Pucc-I:Pucc-K:afo	(Laurie Sefton)
>
> > X-Men #191:  This was *awful*.  I mean dreadful.  Words don't
> > describe how ***bad*** this issue was.  Where did Warlock pop in
> > from?  And the ending... oh GLOS, how contrived.  Really, really
> > bad.
> 	There is talk of at least doing a mini-series.

This seemed to sum up Shooter's attitude so well that I couldn't
resist deleting the intervening paragraph to juxtapose Jerry and
Laurie's comments.  Don't be misled, in reality Jerry is talking
about something else entirely.

> > From:	fluke!moriarty	(Jeff Meyer)
>
> > TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #51: [C]
> >
> > Raises the question of just how much the government knows about the Titans.
> > Any guesses?
>
> 	Even worse, it raised the question to me of just how much the feds
> 	know about *all* of the various superheroes. I mean, do you suppose
> 	they might know Superman's or Batman's identities?

Since the Terminator knows Robin's (excuse me, Nightwing's) secret
identity, he'd have to be an idiot not to know Batman's, and the
Terminator is not an idiot.

Any national intelligence agency worth its budget would have very
complete files on powerful unique individuals, and identities
would certainly be a part of those files.

It seems pretty clear in Marvel that SHIELD knows nearly everyone's
identity.  There was a scene in an issue of THOR where Nick Fury
remarked that they'd be a poor intelligence organization if they
hadn't known Don Blake was Thor, and the same would be true for
most heroes.

	"40 Alpha?  Who's that?  Exactly."

		Carl Rigney, President of the Deadly Midget Fan Club
USMAIL:		Dorm 4, Room 45/ Fermilab/ Box 500/ Batavia, IL 60510
BITNET:		RIGNEY@FNALVX13 (send a short test message first to
				make sure it works)
SLAC DECNET:	FNAL::RIGNEY (if you can reach the node FNAL)
USENET:		allegra!convex!ctvax!uokvax!lmaher until 1/1/85
					(home for the holidays...)
<whew! a moriarty-sized trailer!! :-) >

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/31/84)

In article <11900061@uokvax.UUCP> lmaher@uokvax.UUCP writes:
>> /***** uokvax:net.comics / usceast!ted /  5:08 pm  Nov  6, 1984 */
>> Kitty and Wolverine 4:
>> 	It's probably too late in the series, but I want to see Kitty's
>> 	father go through a sea change.  Who says you have to be a mutant
>> 	to confront danger , grow and change. After all, he is unattached
>> 	now - how about Kitty's father and Yukio for a perfect couple?
>> 	(I'm not more than 25% kidding - they've already interacted
>> 	and his trying to meet her standards would be a step in the
>> 	right direction for him)
>
>HA! There's *no* way this is going to happen.  Some men are born
>heroes, and some men become heroes, but some men are pathetic slugs
>unable to even understand heroes, far less become one, and I feel
>Mr. Pryde is the latter.  Perhaps I'm being too harsh on him, and
>I'll admit the idea of Yukio being a stepmother for Kitty appeals
>to my deeply ingrained sense of weird rightness, but the best thing
>we can hope for Mr. Pryde is to someday die well.

My guess is that he either will go through a change to a more noble state
(gee, just like radio-chemistry) or die in a worthy cause in #6.  Besides,
don't blame him... if YOU were a banker all your life, you'd be pretty darn
unsuited to nasty combat, too (unlike computer personnel, who all have
nerves of steel and eyes of crystal (or is that the other way around?)).
The man may be a Twinkie, but he seems to have done a good job on
child-rearing.

>> I can list many others, but I have to get back to work :-)
>
>Come on, Moriarty.  We know that in fact you work for Fluke doing
>nothing but reading and posting articles, as a part of their P.R.
>department to give the impression that Fluke is full of witty,
>interesting people.  In fact, you're probably a group of people
>(considering your output!), each using a different sign-off
>quote to distinguish among themselves.  :-)

*Sigh*.  Guess I had better get this out of the way: :-)

	Fluke IS full of witty, interesting people. Most of them, tho' are
	shy (we're almost all from Lake Wobegon).  I simply have a tendancy
	to vocalize (i.e. open my big trap...).

	Thanks to the miracles of technology, I can now post news from my
	very apartment dwelling.  And most of mine does come from there.  So
	don't go crying to your various managers, "But, MORIARTY gets to
	post all the live-long day -- why can't *I*?!"  I do not wish to set
	a bad example for the software engineers (oops, computer
	programmers) of tomorrow.

	And lastly, the very idea that there is more than one person posting
	under my name is ludicrous...
	You said it.
	Right.
	What she said.

		"They dared to call me mad!  ME!  HA! HA! HA!...."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA