[net.comics] Is 'Tales of the Teen Titans' supposed to be about heroes?

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (12/21/84)

   Since my freshman days in college ('78), I've been reading Marvel Comics
exclusively.  I have, however, recently been rather dissatisfied with some
of Marvel's offerings, and have heard some good things about DC comics from
people on this group.  So I decided to try out a DC title or two, just to see
if they were worth reading.
    I picked up the March and April issues of TOTTT.  I thought that the
Teen Titans were a group of super heroes along the lines of the Avengers, or
the X-men.  I guess I was wrong.  One scene in particular sticks in my mind.
    The green shape changing guy gets a telephone call saying that the blond
mute guy may have some information the government wants.  The green shape
changing guy then assumes that the blond guy is a traitor; he turns into a
green lion and chases the blond guy around, after ignoring the blond guy's
attempt to explain.  The blond guy escapes.  Later, when his teammates ask
what has happened, he lies to them by omission (i.e., he tells them that
the blond guy knocked him out, but not that he attacked the blond guy first
for no reason.)
    So what's the story?  Is TOTTT about ordinary people with a lot of hang-
ups, vices, irrational fears, who just happen to have superpowers?
    If the green shape changer ALWAYS acts this stupid, lies to his teammates,
etc., why do they keep him around?
    I mean, I don't think I'd like heroes to be portrayed as PERFECT, but there
must be some middle ground between that and portraying them as complete
jerks.
    Or did the writers just have the shape changer act out of character so that
they could get the blond mute guy on the run for plot reasons?  If that's
the case, I might as well go back to Marvel.
    BTW, what are the best DC titles?

Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (12/21/84)

In article <425@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>    So what's the story?  Is TOTTT about ordinary people with a lot of hang-
>ups, vices, irrational fears, who just happen to have superpowers?
>    If the green shape changer ALWAYS acts this stupid, lies to his teammates,
>etc., why do they keep him around?
No, Logan IS a bit of a jerk.  However, in previous issues, he has been
betrayed by someone (he thought was) very close to him.  As a 15-16
year-old, I suspect that could be rather the makings of paranoia.  I also
suspect that the writer, Marv Wolfman, needs the balance provided by his
former co-plotter and artist, George Perez (now what does that remind me of?
the more things change, the more they stay the same...).
>    BTW, what are the best DC titles?
>
>Jeff Sonntag
Ah, glad you asked:

BLUE DEVIL (HA HA HA!)
Any AMBUSH BUG stories in ACTION or wherever you can find them...
SWAMP THING (read two or three issues... this is one of the best books
	anywhere... however, it is not a very mainstream comic (neither is
	BLUE DEVIL, but it has a broader appeal, and a sense of humor that
	has to be seen to be believed).

I have other favorites, but I would suggest BLUE DEVIL to see what the "New
DC" ("There's no shipping us now!" :-) ) is about...

						Blessed Me,

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

eric@milo.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (12/22/84)

	To understand Changeling's ("the green shape changing guy") motives,
you would have to know that only a few issues earlier, his girl friend was
revealed as a traitor to the Teen Titans and a psychopath. This has hit him very
hard, and has been shown in the companion book, these are teenagers, complete
with teenage problems and lack of stability (at least in some cases). This
has always seemed to be the problem with comic titles which develop characters,
rather than plot - if you come in in the middle, it can take a long time to
understand what is going on.

	As for other DC titles - Swamp Thing is a must (although, again, it
may take awhile to catch on to what has gone before).

--
					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!milo!eric

ma155abl@sdcc7.UUCP (Nick the Awesome) (01/03/85)

Come on, just give tell the guy to buy TT annual #3 (I think that is the one
where they defeat the terminator) everything will become clear.

-Nick Flor
UUCP:
[fkda2sj 2fks;laj faklj fakj f2k] ma155abl
[afj2da2sk l f2klasdj f2lkaj f2f] hp-sdd!nick
ARPA
[arparparparparparparparparparparpa] arpa

(mail paths, who needs 'em)

-Nick 'are you tired yet'