[net.comics] Swashbucklers

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (01/15/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

Did any see the cameo appearance by a certain aardvark in
the tavern fight scene in the "Swords of the Swashbucklers"
graphic novel?

My comment on the book itself is basically the same as Don Thompson's

in the CBG--it reads like the first issue of a series, not
like a book that could lead to a series.
Too many loose ends.

Also, why do they swing around and use swords, instead
of laser guns or some such?

Mike Ciaraldi

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (01/17/85)

In article <5390@rochester.UUCP> ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP writes:
>From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
>
>Did any see the cameo appearance by a certain aardvark in
>the tavern fight scene in the "Swords of the Swashbucklers"
>graphic novel?
>
>My comment on the book itself is basically the same as Don Thompson's
>
>in the CBG--it reads like the first issue of a series, not
>like a book that could lead to a series.
>Too many loose ends.
>
>Also, why do they swing around and use swords, instead
>of laser guns or some such?
>
>Mike Ciaraldi

If I recall right, it IS the first issue of a series, which will be soon (?)
forthcoming from Epic comics.  I do agree though that a "graphic novel"
should be able to stand on its own, and this one doesn't quite.

I can think up several explanations for using swords rather than lasers.
For one thing, you are less likely to have a runaway shot puncture the
force field (or whatever holds the air in on those boats) or there could
possibly be a Darkover or Geneva convention type pact outlawing advanced
weapons (when both sides have the same arms, swords are just as deadly
as lasers); this isn't likely given the nature of the bad guys though.
Or, it could just be that a pirate adventure needs swords! (At a convention,
Guice claimed that he and Mantlo tried to sell the concept to Marvel as
a straight pirate series - to no avail.  They resubmitted the same concept
set in space and sold it right away).

I enjoyed the book as far as it went, but I do have some nits to pick.

1) The way the girl got her elemental powers involved some of the weakest
   doubletalk I've seen recently.  (This probe was gathering elementary
   data on Earth ya see..)

2) The description of the South Carolina coast wasn't too convincing,
   for one thing, you almost never find biting crabs in tide pools.
   (And a cat who likes to run through them?)

3) Having the insect first mate be a villain is too sterotyped.

			Oh well,
			Ted Nolan	..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                               ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted
6536 Brookside Circle                   ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206
      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")

gino@sdchema.UUCP (Eugene G. Youngerman) (01/18/85)

>From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
>My comment on the book itself is basically the same as Don Thompson's
>
>in the CBG--it reads like the first issue of a series, not
>like a book that could lead to a series.

I was hoping that someone would mention this.   It seems that
many (most?) of the Graphic Novels released lately are just
issues 1-4 of a new series, and not **GRAPHIC NOVELS**

Examples are Starstruck, Sword of the Swashbucklers, Futurians.

If I am going to pop 6,7 or 8 dollars for a GN, then by god
I want a GN.

(And now for a silly sign off line9

Bring on the Federal Flicks

GINO