[net.comics] certain comments about bill mantlo

mwm@dartvax.UUCP (M. W. Modrall) (01/24/85)

i don't know if you hae the background in comics to remember the first
say 30 issues of the micronauts, but if you want to see good writing
with that "extra spark" read those.... it takes a lot of class to pull
off a story about a bunch of 5 inch tall dolls....

and i was surprised to see that someone actually likes AF.... the stories,
as far as i have seen have been completely disjointed, often giving way
to cheap gimmicks like killing off characters and breaking up siblings to
keep it afloat.... personally, i always thought that john had a little more
talent than that.... but then, theres always the ff, and that's good....

sincerely,
mark modrall
mwm
dartmouth college

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (01/27/85)

In article <2716@dartvax.UUCP> mwm@dartvax.UUCP (M. W. Modrall) writes:
>i don't know if you hae the background in comics to remember the first
>say 30 issues of the micronauts, but if you want to see good writing
>with that "extra spark" read those.... it takes a lot of class to pull
>off a story about a bunch of 5 inch tall dolls....
>
>mark modrall

I have got the first 12 issues, and I think the quality of these is due
mostly to Michael Golden's art, which was very good then, and has progressed
into a state that resembles 3-D without the glasses, which is to say,
phenomenal.  Mantlo's writing there was good, but not great; it degenerated
from there (Baron Karza rises again for the 212th time, and we're going to
LIVE for it, etc.).  It is true that Mantlo did some very good stuff, but it
was limited to one series (Sons of the Tiger/White Tiger), and it has gone
downhill from there, mostly in the dialogue -- the plots aren't all that
mediocre.  But the *cliches*....

				    "It just doesn't make any sense, Penfold!"
				"But our adventures NEVER make any sense, DM!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA