[net.comics] CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS Predictions

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (01/26/85)

From:	CS-Mordred!Pucc-H:Pucc-I:Pucc-K:afo	(Laurie Sefton)

> Well, since we're in for the duration on the crisis....
>
> Let's Make Some Predictions!!
>
> Hero most likely not to be there when we're done:  Blue Beetle, most
> definitely.  This guy is marked for slaughter.

Not bloody likely. DC just recently acquired the rights to the various
Charlton Comics superheroes. I doubt that they'd wipe any of them out
right off the bat (if at all).

> Earths most likely to get trashed:  Earth-X, Earth-S.  I think most
> of these heroes can be safely transported to Earth-2 without major
> continuity changes.

I'd even be willing to bet that Earth-1 gets trashed, and we are left with
Earth-2 with whole bunches of Earth-1 heroes (ones that don't conflict with
Earth-2 characters) transported there. I agree that the various Earth-S
characters will ended up on E-2, but I wouldn't be surprised if Earth-X goes
the way of Earth-3, with no survivors.

> Earths least likely: Earth-1, 2, prime, and whatever version
> currently supports the LSH.

Well, supposedly, there's only going to be *one* Earth left over. Obviously,
going by my last comment, my vote is for E-2. Earth-Prime has always been a
stupid gimmick that'll never go away. As for the LSH, well, presumably, they're
uptime E-1 (all of their references to "past" superheroes have been E-1 heroes)
but again, they can be transposed to E-2 easily.

> Any others?

Predictions? Well, let's see.

Groups most likely to survive: Titans, LSH, Batman & the Outsiders, because of
	the "hardcover/softcover" status of these books. Also, Infinity, Inc.
	and All-Star Squadron stay, just to keep Roy Thomas happy. Though,
	various members of the groups can certainly go toodles.

Characters destined to bite the big one: I think nobody doubts that Flash is
	gonzo. Since the Supergirl movie bombed out, I think we can safely
	assume that she's out, too. I also would bet that Green Lantern (E-1
	style) goes bye-bye. Ditto E-1 Wonder Woman. To re-iterate what I've
	said above, things will probably end up much simpler if most of E-1
	gets eliminated in favor of E-2.

Now, I have heard from a friend, who's heard from another friend, who's
supposedly heard from someone in DC (I think I know who, but for politeness's
sake, I'll keep mum) some of the end results of the CRISIS series. These
could be true, or just rumors, or even falsehoods planted to throw off the
scent. At any rate, I thought you people might be interested. But, since they
may well be considered spoilers, they will follow a form-feed after my
colophon. Have fun.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

Warning! Warning! Here there be Spoilers!

(1) Earth-1 Flash definitely masticates the massive one. And, judging from
	the second issue of CRISIS, this looks like a true one.

(2) "Supergirl will not survive in any form that we currently know her."
	I presume from the wording that neither Supergirl nor Power Girl will
	be around by the end, but that there will be another Supergirl of
	some sort.

(3) "Superboy will never have existed." This will certainly solve the "floating
	point" Superboy problem. This probably will be for the better. I'm not
	sure whether this indicates the survival of Superman-2 as opposed to
	Superman-1 or not. It also has important ramifications with respect to
	the LSH.

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (01/29/85)

I believe that issue #2 indicates that a chunk of history in the past of a
world can be destroyed, and the future of that world "still exists".
Therefore, the most likely endstate is a composite Earth with eras from
various interesting ones put together.  So what will probably happen is
Earth-2's World War II and Fifties and Earth-1's sixties-eighties will go
into the final composite history.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.