[net.comics] Earth-2 vs Earth-1

afo@pucc-k (Laurie J. Sefton) (01/28/85)

     Since we've started talking about which earth is going to bite
the biggie, and which isn't, I've gotten the feeling that Earth-2 is
the most favoured Earth of the people posting here.  Actually, I
prefer Earth-2 to Earth-1 on just about anything.  The characters
seem to have more depth, and just seem to be all-around more
interesting.  At first (a looooong while back), I though this was
due to stories about Earth-2 and characters thereof were pretty
scarce, and the people doing the plotting and scripting were doing
it more as a labour of love than anything else (ever notice that
when a character gets popular, the glow goes away?).  Now I find
that I still prefer the Earth-2 people to Earth-1.  I would be
thrilled and delighted if they (DC) punted the entire Earth-1 group
(with a few exceptions), and went with the Earth-2 groups...

Anyone else feel the same way?

Laurie Sefton
{harpo,ihnp4,allegra,decvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!afo
{decwrl}purdue!pucc-h!afo

Unfortunately, my magicks have very little use in an industrialised
society....

--
Laurie Sefton
{harpo,ihnp4,allegra,decvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h!afo
{decwrl}purdue!pucc-h!afo

Unfortunately, my magicks have very little use in an industrialised
society....

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (01/30/85)

Actually, I always liked the Earth-1 heroes, for a number fo reasons.
Of course, they were the ones I first started reading in the
early Seventies, so the Earth-2ers were always judged in
comparison to them.
As far a Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, the only difference
between the two earths is the the 2ers are all married (except
for Batman being dead, of course).  Having the heroes relativley
young means they can do more physically, i.e. be more agile,
even though they have less experience.

The two Flashes didn't differ much, but Earth-1's Flash has all those
neat Rogues Gallery villains.

I liek the Earth-1 Green Lantern because of the tie in to the
whole GL Corps.  This lets you have more epic SF-type
stories in addition to the earth-bound ones.

On the other hand, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for
The Huntress, especially as drawn by Joe Staton.
The idea of being a second-generation superperson is appealing,
plus her characterization was usually good.

Practically speaking, you have to admit the tremendous popularity
of groups like the GL Corps and the Legion of Super-Heroes, which
are tied into the Earth-1 universe pretty tightly.
The other big group, the Teen Titans, could be cut free to
float to whatever Earth everyone ends up on, but the GL Corps
is tied to the Guardians (who could move, I suppose),
and the LSH is tied in via Superboy.

So, what do you think, he said.....

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (02/01/85)

> From ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) Wed Jan 30 13:11:37 1985
>
> The two Flashes didn't differ much, but Earth-1's Flash has all those
> neat Rogues Gallery villains.

Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised or saddened to see the whole
Flash's Rogues Gallery go up in a poof of antimatter, particularly since old
Barry is probably going to die.  (I hope so!  Talk about your ridiculous and
unbelievable characters.)

> I like the Earth-1 Green Lantern because of the tie in to the
> whole GL Corps.  This lets you have more epic SF-type
> stories in addition to the earth-bound ones.

But in practice there are very few interesting "SF-type" Green Lantern
stories.  The reason is that the Guardians are an inherently dumb,
early-sizties sort of pseudo-science-fiction idea.  You know, like the
original LSH.  The difference is that the LSH has grown and the Guardians
have not.

Again, there are indications of a demise of the Guardians, from issue #2.
They were left comatose or dead by the negative Monitor, and his words were
very final.  The battery is still intact, so perhaps existing lanterns
will still be able to recharge rings.  Thus the rings would be more mystic
relics of a dead culture than galactic cops' sidearms -- a nicer idea.

> Practically speaking, you have to admit the tremendous popularity
> of groups like the GL Corps and the Legion of Super-Heroes, which
> are tied into the Earth-1 universe pretty tightly.
> The other big group, the Teen Titans, could be cut free to
> float to whatever Earth everyone ends up on, but the GL Corps
> is tied to the Guardians (who could move, I suppose),
> and the LSH is tied in via Superboy.

The LSH is in a future time period.  It is clear to me that the final world
will have time periods intercut from various worlds.  Thus the LSH being in
Earth-1's future says nothing about the fate of twentieth-century Earth-1.

> So, what do you think, he said.....

Now you know...
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (02/01/85)

**********Warning: Responses to Spoilers Ahead**********
**********Beware beinfg doubly spoiled!******************

> But in practice there are very few interesting "SF-type" Green Lantern
> stories.  The reason is that the Guardians are an inherently dumb,
> early-sizties sort of pseudo-science-fiction idea.  You know, like the
> original LSH.  The difference is that the LSH has grown and the Guardians
> have not.

Well, I can remember a lot of interesting stories from the
first 50 issues or so, when GL went to planets where his
ring could do weird things, and later ran into an increasing
number of "alien" GL's (or is HE the alien?....).
But, what can I say?  The GL Corps is a sort of updated
Lensmen, honest and incorruptible, possessed of tremendous
power that requires tremendous courage to utilize correctly.

> The LSH is in a future time period.  It is clear to me that the final world
> will have time periods intercut from various worlds.  Thus the LSH being in
> Earth-1's future says nothing about the fate of twentieth-century Earth-1.

If this happens, will it really be a simplification?
Some examples:

In the future of the LSH, the Tornado Twins are supposed
to be descendants of Barry (Flash) Allen. It was bad enough that
Iris died before having any children, but if Barry goes too
that about wraps it up for the TT.  No one will miss them, actually,
but their friends might wonder where they came from.
Or, they might just know that there was a discontinuity
at a particuklar part in the past.
In any event, there are going to be inconsistencies
that cannot be explained unless people know that
the Crisis occurred.

More important Legion problems:

Since Dawnstar is in the Crisis series, it takes place "after"
she joined the Legion; what this means in a series that
spans thousands of years is not clear.
Anyway, it has been rumored that Superboy
will "never have existed".  So, what about the early Legion
stories where he traveled forward in time to
be with them?  Presumably they will still have
occurred, otherwise the Legion would not have developed the way
it "presently" is.  If the Cosmic Axis shifts in
such a way that Superboy is gone, does Dawnstar return to
her own time and tell her teammates, "don't expect him to
show up any more"?  Or does everyone forget he ever existed,
and all the statues of him erected in the 30th century suddenly
dissolve?  And leave little puddles of time-mush, I suppose.
Imagine sitting around the Legion lounge reminiscing,
Remember when old What's-is-name saved us?" "Who?"

Someday someone in the time of the Legion will start travelling
back into time, and what will he find?
Will he find that until 1985 there were multiple Earths,
but only one after?  Which will be less confusing?
If there was the change, how would it be perceived by the
average person?  There are all sorts of semi-public documents
that mention the parallel-Earth concept (including the famous
newspaper headline in "Flash of Two Worlds", and the
Congressional hearing records from "Earth Vs. the JSA"),
so what happens to them?
This is all a lot like what happened when Wonder Woman
had her memory erased, and the whole world also forgot that
she had ever lost her powers and revealed her secret
identity in public.
Also like Dr. Fate's spell that made people on Earth-2 forget
that Batman had revealed his secret identity when he
was killed.

Basically, I am afraid that we will end up with a "simplified"
DC Universe that is full of inconsistencies and contradictions.
The closest parallels I can recall to this
in the non-comics field would
be Gordon R. Dickson's TIME STORM,
Fred Hoyle's OCTOBER THE FIRSY IS TOO LATE,
and Ursula K. LeGuin's THE LATHE OF HEAVEN.
Alll show what happens when you let your future
come unstuck from your past--namely everyone gets confused.

So, I leave you with two questions:

1) How do you think this should be handled by the
   Powers That Be at DC? i.e. what should the average person
   think has happened to the world?
2) Who would you like to see changed, and why?

I have some ideas for #2:

If Barry Allen does indeed shuffle off this mortal coil,
this might open the way for a new, younger successor to the
title "Flash".
I suppose the new one could be Black, or female
(no wait, that's been done).
How about if the Ellison-scripted Kid Flash series has Wally
recover from the problem that makes his super-speed kill him,
and take up the mantle as the new Flash?
I find something appealing about a superhero who has really
only one power, because it should make him think up new
ways to capitalize on it.  The Flash has consistently
done this.

I wouldn't want to see The Batman eliminated, but I noticed
in the annual sales figures that he is down to about 80,000
copies a month, and shrinking.  Canceling HIM would be
a big step for sure.

There are a lot of parallel worlds that cannot be integrated
into a single dimension without destroying theirr  premises.
e.g. you can't get rid of the Gemworld, unless it
becomes a separate planet in our universe.
The Earth that has Skartaris (home of The Warlord) inside
cannot be Earth-1 now, or else Superman would have
run into that big hole in the center of the Earth before
now.  Moving it into the remaining dimension means no
more "Superman boring through the Earth and out the
other side" stories.
And so on.

This is getting awfully long (some would just say "awful"),
so I will just close with a note of admiration for the
Crisis staff, who at least had the guts to try and
bring this off, even if they don't entirely succeed.

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

ted@usceast.UUCP (Ted Nolan) (02/07/85)

In article <20980088@cmu-cs-k.ARPA> tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) writes:

>But in practice there are very few interesting "SF-type" Green Lantern
>stories.  The reason is that the Guardians are an inherently dumb,
>early-sizties sort of pseudo-science-fiction idea.  You know, like the
>original LSH.  The difference is that the LSH has grown and the Guardians
>have not.
>
>> So, what do you think, he said.....
>
>-=-
>Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
>ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
>CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

Actually, I don't think it's a dumb early-60's psf idea, it's more like
a 1930's and 40's mainstream(*) sf idea.  In fact, I have a specific one in
mind.

Yes, you guessed it, I think the Green Lantern idea was based on
Doc Smith's Lensman series.  Substitute lens for ring, Arisa (sp?) for Oa,
and what do you have?  Two groups of heroes cleaning up the galaxy for
a distant planet of superbeings.

I even noticed one of the GL corps named Arisa a few years back (I don't
follow the title regularly).  Did the inspiration for GL come from
Smith?  Anyone have any speculations?

* - yes I know there is an unjust tendency to downplay Smith nowdays,
    but at the time he was definitely in the mainstream.

			Ted Nolan	..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                   ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted  (UUCP)
6536 Brookside Circle       ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206          allegra!usceast!ted@seismo (ARPA, maybe)

      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")