[net.comics] Moriarty's reviews of Boyajian's reviews of Moriarty's Reviews

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (02/22/85)

In article <639@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
>> SWAMP THING #35 [A-]:
>
>... And I can suspend my disbelief pretty far when I
>have to (especially when reading comics), but even I had a hard time accepting
>a guy who drinks nuclear waste without needing Rolaids afterwards.

I admit this is more atmosphere than tale, so to speak, and I assume a
logical answer will be given in the next issue.  But the way Moore and
Bessette tell the story...  they probably isn't a more a more stylistic
comic around.  And, no joke, this one *scared* me.  I'm rather curious -- I
know you're a big Stephen King fan; I have read only one of his books, and
found it very frightening also.  But are all of King's books "logical", i.e.
do they all show exactly where the creature/supernatural force come from?
I'm curious, because the book I read, SALEM'S LOT, seemed pretty "logical";
but other books, like THE SHINING, I heard were more atmospheric, less
clear on the details surrounding the plot.  Also, H.P. Lovecraft's stuff I
have read, and while very little seems straightforward, it is good horror
work.  And I find the current SWAMP THING story to be *much* less ambiguous
than Lovecraft.

>> MS. TREE #13 [F]:
>
>I couldn't agree less. I'll admit that the particular story in this issue
>isn't awe inspiring, and it seems to be just a cash-in on the Vanessa
>Williams thingie, but these two issues are the rare exception (probably the
>only issues of MS. TREE that I didn't care much for --- the previous story-
>line wasn't overwhelming, either, but it was a fair mystery).

OK, granted the first issues were good -- the premier was VERY good -- but I
was reviewing the current state of the comic, not what has come before.  I
hope Collins & Beatty can bring it back to what it once was, and also
improve characterization -- mysteries that are simply "whodunits" interest
me much less than those with good characters and amusing dialogue, like
Stout or Block.

>	However, I still think MS. TREE is one of the better books on the
>market. Besides, you don't want to agree with Gary Groth, do you?

AGGH!  Gary Groth AGREES with me?!  Get me the ritual suicide sword, Logan!
(Well, anybody who hates comics as much as Gary Groth is going to agree with
me on something, eventually).

>> HAROLD HEDD: HITLER'S COCAINE #2 [D-]: Never try to add relevance to
>> bathroom humor...  Not to mention that this is ANOTHER artist who can't
>> draw sharks correctly!  Hmph!
>
>Gee, I liked these two issues enough to go back and pick up the previous two
>HAROLD HEDD comics. Granted that the older ones were better (especially #2),
>but "Hitler's Cocaine" was entertaining enough.

Glad you picked up the originals... the airlifting from Mexico one went with
me through college, and is one of my favorites.  If the current "Hitler's
Cocaine" series points anyone to the old series, it's worth it.  I still
haven't figured out why he mixes his plot with old movies, though... the
German officer flying the 707 to the ground opened up, almost word-for-word,
from "Airplane" ("Airport"?).

			"Strong men blench!  Women scream!  Children vomit!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA