[net.comics] various articles...

mwm@dartvax.UUCP (M. W. Modrall) (02/09/85)

excuse me...i mis-spoke... marvel did not say that in the marvel universe
it is really about 1970, but they did say that hey drag their dates up with them
in other words, the ff started in 1961, well, in the marvel universe, they
started in 1970, or some such nonsense...
and cap really isn't explained away if you think about it... look, the guy was
in his early 20's when he was frozen... then he was thawed in avengers 4
in 1964... that would still put him in his mid40's now, and they sure as hell
don't pass him off as that....

as far as jayembee's comments about possible outcomes from crisis, they are
ludicrous... there would be no problem with crossing batmans, since the
golden age bats is dead and gone... has been for several years...
as for superman, there is no way that the golden age superman and lois lane
could have fathered e-1 supes.... the e-1 supes has been demonstrated in psat
issues to be much more powerful than his e-2 counterpart, now it has been shown
in other isssues that mating with normals produces weaker supermen... several
story lines have dealt with that.... so the e-1 supes couldn't be a kid of
the e-2 superman, and be stonger...

anyway... enough of that...

mwm
dartmouth college.
,

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (02/13/85)

In article <2747@dartvax.UUCP> mwm@dartvax.UUCP (M. W. Modrall) writes:
>and cap really isn't explained away if you think about it... look, the guy was
>in his early 20's when he was frozen... then he was thawed in avengers 4
>in 1964... that would still put him in his mid40's now, and they sure as hell
>don't pass him off as that....

mid-40s?  He should be in a rest home by now, right?

Chee!  Age bigotry raises its UGly head raht hear in net.cawmics!

Be advised, dear friend, that Franco Columbu, the fellow who (along
with Arnold Schwartznegger) made bodybuilding into a paying sport,
was 41 when he last won the Mr Olympia.

So what, you say, they're all drug-monkeys?  Well, Cap is a supersoldier
thanks to supersteroids a long time ago, y'know.

Even if he WERE 40+ (and they say he's about 36 years physical age) he
would still be in better shape that WE are, lying around reading comicses.

Humph!

Hutch

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (02/13/85)

> From:	dartvax!mwm	(Mark Modrall)

> and cap really isn't explained away if you think about it... look, the guy was
> in his early 20's when he was frozen... then he was thawed in avengers 4
> in 1964... that would still put him in his mid40's now, and they sure as hell
> don't pass him off as that....

Except that AVENGERS #4 *didn't occur in 1964*!!! That's the whole point!
Everything's been moved forward 10 years, so that that issue took place in
19*7*4, making the present-day Cap in his early 30's.

> as far as jayembee's comments about possible outcomes from crisis, they are
> ludicrous... there would be no problem with crossing batmans, since the
> golden age bats is dead and gone... has been for several years...

Yes, I know that, and I mentioned it in my article. The reason there is a
problem is that the Golden Age Batman is tied to WW2 and the JSA. Granted,
that with the GA Batman dead, there won't be two Batmen running around in
present-day, but what I was trying to reconcile was how there could be two
different Bruce Waynes who both became Batman under the same circumstances
a few decades apart.
	Now, since Roy Thomas isn't really doing much with the regular JSA
members in ALL-STAR SQUADRON, it's quite possible that the GA Batman (and
many of his compadres) could be "surgically" removed from DC continuity.
Except that this causes the problem of explaining away the Huntress, whose
whole shtick is that she's Batman's daughter. How can an ~30-year-old
Batman have a daughter close to the same age? Another answer could be to
change the Huntress's secret identity completely. I just thought I'd see
if I could reconcile the side-by-side existance of both the Huntress and
the Batman as they are currently delineated.
	This was the whole purpose behind my speculations. I'm sorry that
you think they are ludicrous, but chances are they aren't any more so than
what will end up happening anyway. Just *thinking* about how Marv is going
to collapse Earth's 1 and 2 into a single continuity gives me a headache.
I suspect that many of the changes will be so radical that *they* will
appear to be ludicrous, too. The one thing that I *know* is going to result
from this series is that no matter what Marv ends up doing, he's going to
piss off a lot of people. You just can't please everyone.

> as for superman, there is no way that the golden age superman and lois lane
> could have fathered e-1 supes.... the e-1 supes has been demonstrated in psat
> issues to be much more powerful than his e-2 counterpart, now it has been
> shown in other isssues that mating with normals produces weaker supermen...
> several story lines have dealt with that.... so the e-1 supes couldn't be a
> kid of the e-2 superman, and be stonger...

I don't think that you really understand what the purpose of the CRISIS series
is. It's intended to simplify the DC Universe. In order to do it, *radical*
changes have to be made. Wolfman said in his text piece in #1 that even Supes
will be affected. Just because the E-1 Superman has been shown in the past to
be more powerful than his counterpart, that doesn't mean that it'll still be
the case after the CRISIS is over. Since one of the problems that has always
plagued the Man of Steel is that he's just too damn powerful, I suspect that
he's going to come out less powerful than he went in. And besides, who says
that Superman mating with Lois would produce a weaker half-breed? All of the
stories involving a Kryptonian-Terran cross-breed have been Imaginary Stories.
We cannot take for granted *anything* that happens in those stories. Now, it
is reasonable, genetically speaking, that since the child would only be half
Kryptonian, he wouldn't be as powerful as his Kryptonian parent, but it is
certainly possible in the world of comics to come up with some pseudo-scien-
tific bullshit to explain away anything you want.

And then, I *did* provide and alternate possibility, which I do happen to
favor, in which the GA Superman's place in the JSA, etc. is taken up by the
Big Red Cheese.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

>                                             ... And besides, who says
> that Superman mating with Lois would produce a weaker half-breed? ...

Gee, I thought everyone knew that we hybrids are more vigorous than the
parent stock (you clones).	;-)

Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{ARPA,UUCP}