[net.comics] Ithacon 10 coming up

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (02/27/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

The Tenth edition of Ithacon, "the biggest little convention in the world",
will be held in Ithaca, NY, the weekend of April 20-23.

I have never been to a "major" convention like San Diego, but have
always enjoyed Ithacons in the past.  Besides the dealer room there
is always lots of programming (no, not computer programming).
For example, last year they had the Elfquest slide show, a discussion
session with Jim Shooter and Roger Stern, the Match Game (I won
a Murphy Anderson  picture) with celebrity panelists and fan contestants,
and a Doctor Who festival that ran until 5:00 a.m.

This year they are going all-out in honor of the tenth anniversary.
From what I heard this weekend, the following guests are
at least reasonbly likely:

Jim Shooter
Roger Stern (he lives in Ithaca)
Wendy & Richard Pini
Louise & Walt Simonson
John Buscema
Al Milgrom
Archie Goodwin
Len Wein
Barry Smith
June Brigman (she was at a show in Rochester last weekend)

Quite a crowd, if somewhat heavily Marvel-oriented.
Ithacon has traditionally been a low-pressure, high-fun sort
of convention, with lots of mingling of fans and pros in the halls.

More details as they become available.

BTW Ithaca is the home of Cornell University (my alma mater),
a small town at the southern end of the Finger Lakes region of
New York State.  It is about 2 hours' drive from Rochester, less than
that to Syracuse, about 6 hours to NYC (right up route 17).
April is a nice time to drive through the Finger Lakes
(although not as nice as October, when the leaves change).

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (03/02/85)

> From what I heard this weekend, the following guests are
> at least reasonbly likely:
>
> Jim Shooter
  [...]

WHOOOOOOWHEEEE !!  WE GOT HIM NOW !!  If Shitter's going to be there,
so am I.  Me, my tomatoes, my beer balloons, my sawed-off 12-gauge...
Come'on all you Shooter fans.  Let's get out there and show
how much we love him...

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

P.S. -- I'm not sure if the :-) should be included or not...