[net.comics] Tom Slick

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (03/05/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

I always thought it was...

"In his Thunderbolt Greaseslapper, now
He's on your trail."

i.e. the missing word is "now".
Maybe this is just gestalt filling in the word.

While we are on the subject of missing words
(but not from animated shows), I have wondered
for years what adjective describes Lola's voice in the Kinks song.

i.e. "I asked her her name and in a **** voice she said, 'Lola.'"

It always sounds like "suff-rone" phonetically to me.
Any one know?

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

drforsey@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Forsey) (03/12/85)

> From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
>
> I always thought it was...
>
> "In his Thunderbolt Greaseslapper, now
> He's on your trail."
>
> i.e. the missing word is "now".
> Maybe this is just gestalt filling in the word.

Could be, could be, but it doesn't set my alarm off.
If *only* we could be *sure*....

> While we are on the subject of missing words
> (but not from animated shows), I have wondered
> for years what adjective describes Lola's voice in the Kinks song.
>
> i.e. "I asked her her name and in a **** voice she said, 'Lola.'"
>
> It always sounds like "suff-rone" phonetically to me.
> Any one know?

I've always been reasonably sure it was "guttural", only sort of
contracted, y'know, "gutt'ral". It'd make sense for Lola to have
a guttural voice if she was a guy once, right? Oh well....

				   The Gray Mouser