[net.comics] "V for Vendetta" puzzle *SPOILER*

micah@mit-athena.UUCP (Micah P Doyle) (03/26/85)

>> From:  me

>> I was so impressed with Alan Moore's deviousness after reading _Warrior_
>> #25 that I had to post this little puzzle.  I know what Valerie's last
>> name is.  Her last name may or may not be important in itself (I'm not
>> telling), but how I figured it out probably is.  Has anyone else
>> realized the answer to this?  (It's very, very subtle, even for Mr.
>> Moore.)

> From: {decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian

> Well, I'm not sure what you think it is, or how you figured it out, but
> if I'm right, it was given away on the first page of the "V" installment
> in WARRIOR #23.

Hmmm.  Actually, I missed that reference, but yes, that does give it
away.  I was referring to page four of "V" in WARRIOR #14 (look at the
top name on the poster), and WARRIOR #20.  She was also seen in issue
#11; the last two pages of that issue seemed to indicate she is now (in
1998) dead, I thought.  However, after reading issue #20's chapter, I
would more likely guess she left V and he's searching for her now (or
maybe she's involved somehow with V now and he's trying to erase all
records on her for some reason).

By the way, the letter Valerie wrote seems to have been written in 1993.
The time the note was written couldn't have been much past 1992, when
Valerie's lover betrayed her.  Also, the note says Rita, a lesbian, died
in the prison two weeks ago.  The diary in issue #11 also references a
lesbian named Rita who died in the drug experiment in 1993.  In
addition, Valerie does say she was given drugs.  I'll bet Valerie was
the woman in room IV!

Also, does anyone know what ever happened to DC's offer to reprint "V
for Vendetta" in the US?  I can think of no other strip more deserving
of a wider audience (not even "M*rvelman").

						Micah Doyle
						micah@mit-athena.ARPA
						decvax!mit-athena!micah