[net.comics] CRISIS on TV

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (04/12/85)

	Well, "Crisis" was on my local news last night, and they released
a lot more of the spoilers. Here they are:

	1) Supergirl (Earth-1)  dies. This was also reported in CBG.

	2) Wildcat gets his legs crushed.

	3) Earth-2 Superman and wife take off for parts unknown in a
	   space ship.

	As I said, these (particularly 2 and 3) came over the news, there
is nothing legally binding.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric

boyajian@akov68.DEC (04/26/85)

> From:	osiris!eric

>	Well, "Crisis" was on my local news last night, and they released
> a lot more of the spoilers. Here they are:
>
> [spoilers listed]

The April 10th issue of USA TODAY had an short article on CRISIS. Accompanying
the article was a reproduction of the of #7. They mentioned that very same
spoilers osiris!eric listed, and then some. I've transcribed the article
following a form feed. Comments in < > are mine.

One thing about the article that distresses me greatly is that, while there
are quotes from Robert Greenberger, the associate editor, no mention is made
of Marv Wolfman, either as writer of the book or as the guy who thought the
whole thing up in the first place.

Spoiler Warning!!! Following the form feed are some spoilers about COIE.

	DC Comics straightens out its superheroes

By Elizabeth Sporkin
USA TODAY

  NEW YORK --- WHAM! BAM! KERBOOM! Supergirl dies! Batgirl suffers
an identity crisis! Wildcat retires!
  DC Comics celebrates its 50th anniversary this year with a major
housecleaning.
  "We're simplifying and redefining the DC universe" in a 12-part
series, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, says associate editor Robert
Greenberger. A 24-issue "Who's Who" of superheroes keeps track of
the 800 characters.
  "Over the years, the original characters from the 1940s grew up,
had children and sometimes died, while 1950s versions of the same
characters did not age.
  So the two versions could co-exist, DC developed countless paral-
lel universes. The Superman who married Lois Lane lives on Earth 2,
while the Superman who is eternally youthful resides on Earth 1.
  In the monthly CRISIS series (issue No. 4 is on newsstands), all
but one Earth vanishes along with the duplicated characters.

  But look! Other big changes!

  [] Supergirl dies in issue No. 7 (on newsstands in July).

<This has also been mentioned in the COMICS BUYER'S GUIDE. The cover to #7
 shows a tearful Superman cradling Supergirl's body in his arms. I'm still
 not quite convinced --- a few things I've seen here and there have lead me
 to believe that Supergirl will be permanently moved up to the 30th century
 as a member of the LSH. I smell a red herring.>

  [] One other major character dies, but DC isn't telling who.

<Bets on the Flash?>

  [] Batgirl is filled with self-doubt over whether she's a debutante
or crimefighter. DC writers are still deciding her fate.

  [] Earth 2's Superman and wife Lois go off in a rocketship to
explore the stars -- NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN! Earth 2's Wonder
Woman bows out. Earth 1's youthful Superman and Wonder Woman remain.

  [] Wildcat, a boxer-turned-crimefighter, retires when his legs are
crushed in an accident. A new Wildcat debuts: a Mexican woman athlete.

<The accident happened already, in CRISIS #5.>

  The folks at DC say the series is generating a "phenomenal" amount
of mail, mostly positive. Will these changes help DC (with about 35
percent of the comic book market) surpass Marvel (with about 55 per-
cent) as ruler of the comic book empire? "We're trying to fight back,"
says Greenberger.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA