[net.comics] X-Men for Ethiopia

boyajian@akov68.DEC (04/25/85)

> From:	nybcb!daly	(Shawn P. Daly)

>      I heard on the radio the other day that Marvel is putting out a comic
> bookto help the starving in Africa. It'll be called "X-Men for Africa". It
> will be mainly written by Claremont, although there will be contributions
> from other writer, including Stan Lee. They didn't mention the artist though.
> According to Claremont, the writers will be writing for free, the artists will
> be drawing for free. etc. The only thing they weren't sure about, was whether
> or not the printers would print for free, cost, or their regular rate. As long
> as Shooter keeps out of this, it might turn out to be aa decent book.

To be honest, when I first saw this posting, I though it was a joke, but then
a couple of days later, I saw it mentioned in CBG. According to CBG, the idea
was conceived by Berni Wrightson and Jim Starlin, who got in touch with Jim
Shooter, who gave the go ahead.
	Claremont is providing the basic plot, which involves a being known as
the Entity (I hope this isn't the Prof's dark side again), who feeds off of
others' pain and suffering. Then, there will be a number of writer/penciller/
inker teams, who will each do 2-3 pages of the story. It'll be 48 pages with
no ads.

The volunteer talent is impressive (list courtesy of AMAZING HEROES):

Writers: Mike Baron, Ed Bryant, Chris Claremont, Mary Jo Duffy, Harlan Ellison,
	 Steve Englehart, Archie Goodwin, Mike Grell, Bruce Jones, Stephen
	 King!, Stan Lee, Bill Mantlo, George R. R. Martin, Alan Moore, Ann
	 Nocenti, Denny O'Neil, Jim Shooter, and Louise Simonson.

Pencillers: Brent Anderson, Bret Blevins, Brian Bolland, John Bolton, John
	 Buscema, John Byrne, Howard Chaykin, Richard Corben, Jackson Guice,
	 Paul Gulacy, Mike Kaluta, Frank Miller, Gray Morrow, John Romita Jr.,
	 Steve Rude, Jim Starlin, Herb Trimpe, Charles Vess, Alan Weiss, and
	 Berni Wrightson.

Inkers:	 Terry Austin, Richard Corben, Al Gordon, Dan Green, Klaus Janson, Jeff
	 Jones, Bob Layton, Steve Leialoha, Al Milgrom, Gray Morrow, Jon Jay
	 Muth, Carl Potts, Joe Rubinstein, P. Craig Russell, John Severin, Bill
	 Sienkiewicz, Walt Simonson, and Al Williamson.

Looks to be worth getting even if it wasn't for a good cause.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

boyajian@akov68.DEC (04/25/85)

[Sorry if this is a duplicate. I wasn't sure if it got out the first time.]

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (04/26/85)

In article <1826@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
>The volunteer talent is impressive (list courtesy of AMAZING HEROES):

	(long list of everyone who is anyone in comics)

The volunteer talent is depressing.

I'll undoubtedly buy this book, but I predict that I'll be sifting
through it, going "Frank Miller drew this arm.  Good.  Al Milgrom
did the face.  Bad.  Gray Morrow must be the one who...."
If all of these people get to do something in only 48 pages,
there isn't going to be any coherence to this puppy at all.

Is a good cause an excuse for bad art?  (Look at "Concert for
Bangaladesh", where musicians did what they were good at, instead
of trying to make a Cecil B. DeMille epic video).

"It's a good thing the Ethiopians don't watch MTV" --
	from a recent review of "We are the World"

--
Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/07/85)

> From:	uwmacc!rick	(Rick Keir)

> In article <1826@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
>> The volunteer talent is impressive (list courtesy of AMAZING HEROES):
>
>	(long list of everyone who is anyone in comics)
>
> The volunteer talent is depressing.
>
> I'll undoubtedly buy this book, but I predict that I'll be sifting
> through it, going "Frank Miller drew this arm.  Good.  Al Milgrom
> did the face.  Bad.  Gray Morrow must be the one who...."
> If all of these people get to do something in only 48 pages,
> there isn't going to be any coherence to this puppy at all.
>
> Is a good cause an excuse for bad art?...

(1) That's not the way this is going to work. Basicly, they're going to
match one writer with once penciller and one inker, and have that team
do 2-3 pages of the story, with the overall plot by Claremont. As far
as distinguishing artists goes, the previous two times that I can recall
such a jam session, there was a list of artists and what pages they did.
One of these two times was the X-MEN ANNUAL (#7?) in which the Impossible
Man went around stealing things for a Interstellar scavenger hunt. The
other time was the Great Spirit Jam in, I think, the 30th issue of the
black-and-white Spirit magazine from Kitchen Sink. Everyone and his uncle
was in that one (including writers); I thought it worked rather well.

X-MEN FOR ETHIOPIA may be a real artistic dud, but I won't count it out
until I see it. Besides, it'll be worth it to see if Richard Corben can
draw starving Ethiopians who don't look like they're 400 pounds of ugly
fat. :-)