[net.comics] Warner Bros.

nivek@cmu-ri-rover.ARPA (Kevin Dowling) (05/02/85)

Disney has had enormous success with the release of the Silly Symphony
cartoons and other cartoons on videotape. There's no reason why Warner Bros'
couldn't do the same. As far as I know (I hope I'm wrong) WB hasn't released
the cartoons. Perhaps they feel the saturday morning stuff is still generating
good TV revenues after 30 years! Chuck Jones has been in Pittsburgh here
a couple of times and is coming back next week for a gallery exhibition
of his work. Perhaps I'll get a chance to ask him.

There were about 850 cartoons created at WB by the likes of Tex Avery,
Jones, McKimson, Freleng, and many others. If they put, say, 15 of these
seven minute gems on a tape they could have more than 50 videotapes.
They could have subject tapes (Bugs, or Road-Runner, or Pepe etc etc)
or have a chronological order from the earliest to the early 60's.
(I don't consider those done after '63 with to be worth having placed on
tape)

There are several places that sell the recreated cel's of characters
that Jones created under Jones' supervision. Some WB clod back in the
early sixties had all the originals burned to make room on the WB lots.
This includes a gallery run by his daughter in NYC.

				nivek
Aka :	Kevin Dowling		Bell:	(412) 578-8830
Arpa:	nivek@cmu-ri-rover	Mail:	Robotics Institute
					Schenley Park
					Pgh, PA 15213

bllklly@uwmacc.UUCP (Bill Kelly) (05/08/85)

In article <228@cmu-ri-rover.ARPA> nivek@cmu-ri-rover.ARPA (Kevin Dowling) writes:
>Perhaps they feel the saturday morning stuff is still generating
>good TV revenues after 30 years! ....
>There were about 850 cartoons created at WB by the likes of Tex Avery,
>Jones, McKimson, Freleng, and many others.

   It's really a shame they replay and replay and replay the same 50 or so
   on the Saturday morning shows.  There are lots of others you only see on
   non-network kid's shows, at campus film festivals, etc.  Are those the
   only ones the network has rights to?
--

Bi||    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!bllklly
Ke||y   1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706

"I will not harm any vehicle or the physical contents thereof,
 nor through inaction allow harm to come to a vehicle or the
 physical contents thereof."  -- The Repo Code
 (Not many people live by a code these days.)