[net.comics] Swamp Thing

gdavis@noscvax.UUCP (Gary L. Davis) (05/09/85)

Recently I've discovered Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing", a comic I find
to be one of the very best things on the stands.  I'm just wondering
if anyone cares to speculate what the coming great event is going to
be which is supposed to happen within the year.  Whatever it is, it
promises to provide some good reading, not to mention possible wide-
ranging effects throughout the DC Universe.  Personally, I'm hoping
for a good Lovecraftian tie-in.

broehl@wateng.UUCP (Bernie Roehl) (05/13/85)

<bug line>

Yes, I just started following Swamp Thing myself.  (Interesting; I added
up the the number of DC's I read versus the number of Marvels, and DC just
pulled into the lead.  After many long years of being a Marvel-only fan, I
have gradually shifted more and more towards DC; picking up Swamp Thing and
giving up on Secret Bores II just put DC firmly in the lead).

--
        -Bernie Roehl    (University of Waterloo)
	...decvax!watmath!wateng!broehl

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (05/14/85)

In article <921@noscvax.UUCP> gdavis@cod.UUCP (Gary L. Davis) writes:
>Personally, I'm hoping
>for a good Lovecraftian tie-in.

Hey, I forgot all about that!  How many years has it been since Lovecraft
wrote his mythology?  Just about 50 years, isn't it? (Booga-Booga!).  Now
THAT would be impressive...

		"SAVE US, Megaton Man!  SAVE US!"
		"PROTECT US, Megaton Man! PROTECT US!"
		"THINK for us, Megaton Man, THINK for us!"
		"MOW MY LAWN FOR ME, Megaton Man, MOW MY LAWN FOR ME!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

gdavis@noscvax.UUCP (Gary L. Davis) (05/15/85)

Regarding "Swamp Thing" and a possible Lovecraft tie-in, note that
Lovecraft's pivotal Cthulhu Mythos story (although by no means his
best), "The Call of Cthulhu" was written in 1926, preceding by exactly
60 years the forthcoming culmination of the "American Gothic" storyline
in "Swamp Thing".  Lovecraft wrote his Cthulhu tales roughly between the
period of 1919 and 1936 (one year before his death).  I guess that means
that the last of his Mythos stories will be 50 years old when Swamp Thing
meets whatever it is that's coming.

Although I'd like to see Moore handling one of Lovecraft's creations in
"Swamp Thing", I kind of doubt that he will.  Moore already mentioned
both Lovecraft and Cthulhu in a recent issue (#37, I think) and I doubt
if he would have tipped his hat so early if he intended to actually use
Cthulhu in his tale.  Lovecraft's influence is there, nonetheless.

On the other hand, Lovecraft died in *19*37* and Moore's *19th* issue
of "Swamp Thing", (counting the annual), number *37*, started this
business in the first place.  Hmmm. . .

ee171ael@sdcc3.UUCP (GEOFFREY KIM) (05/16/85)

My favorite comic is Bill
Murray.

The x-men are for little
grade school kids who
like to pretend that they
are wolverine.

Larry G. Kim

"not only that, but the stories suck head!"