[net.comics] Supreme Squadron

jmc@wuphys.UUCP (Jimmy Chen) (06/04/85)

Can anyone tell where the Supreme Squadron had appeared before?
I only vaguely remember a story with them and the Avengers.
Something about the Vision, Scarlet Witch, et. al. chancing
on a future alternative earth where the sun was going supernova.
The goody twoshoes decide to interfere and prevent this disaster
by stopping the launch of an experimental solar satellite.
I can't remember when or where this story appeared.

I think the Supreme Squadron is pretty interesting.  It started
out kind of strange with these characters which were disturbingly
familiar.  I couldn't believe that Marvel could or would just rip
off of DC.  But they've done very well with it.  Imagine President
Batman trying to assassinate Superman.

				   Jimmy Chen
				(ihnp4!wuphys!jmc)

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (06/06/85)

In article <280@wuphys.UUCP> jmc@wuphys.UUCP (Jimmy Chen) writes:
>Can anyone tell where the Supreme Squadron had appeared before?
>I only vaguely remember a story with them and the Avengers.
>Something about the Vision, Scarlet Witch, et. al. chancing
>on a future alternative earth where the sun was going supernova.
>The goody twoshoes decide to interfere and prevent this disaster
>by stopping the launch of an experimental solar satellite.
>I can't remember when or where this story appeared.
>
>I think the Supreme Squadron is pretty interesting.  It started
>out kind of strange with these characters which were disturbingly
>familiar.  I couldn't believe that Marvel could or would just rip
>off of DC.  But they've done very well with it.  Imagine President
>Batman trying to assassinate Superman.
>

>				   Jimmy Chen
>				(ihnp4!wuphys!jmc)

    The Squadron Supreme first appeared in Avengers 85-86. After fighting
a villian called Arkon in another dimension Vision, Scarlet Witch,Quick-
silver and Goliath/Hawkeye found themselves on a parallel Earth. On this
world was a superhero team called the Squadron Supreme. The team consisted
of Hyperion, Nighthawk, Whizzer, Dr. Spectrum, Hawkeye(with a crossbow),
Lady Lark, Tom Thumb and American Eagle. The Avengers helped the S.S.
defeat a 10 year old mutant called Brain-Child from destroying the Earth
by making the sun go nova.
    The Squadron Supreme has made other appearances, some good and some
bad. They are Avengers 141-144,147-148, Defenders 112-114, and Thor 280.
    An interesting side note is the fact that Hyperion, Dr. Spectrum,
Whizzer, and Nighthawk made their first appearance in Avengers 69-70, but
these were not the same people. These four were people from the Avengers
Earth who where given powers and costumes resembling the Squadron Supreme
by a being called the GRANDMASTER. The GRANDMASTER called these four
the Squadron Sinister.
    The Squadron Sinister has also made other appearances: Defenders 13-14
where Nighthawk becomes a hero and Avengers Annual 8. Hyperion(bad) also
appeared in Thor 280 with Hyperion(good). Whizzer changed his name to
Speedemon in a Spider-Man issue that I don't remember to number of. He
also changed his costume.
    The unfortunate thing about all this is, except for the Squadron
Supreme's maxi-series, everytime the Squadron Supreme has appeared the
cover of that book says Squadron SINISTER! Innocent mistakes can happen
once, but everytime? C'mon Marvel! Wouldn't it be great if they had
messed up on the maxi-series too!
    Well, that's all. I hope you go out and read these issues, both the
Squadron Supreme and Squadron Sinister stories because except for their
recent appearance in Defenders(which takes place right before the maxi-
series) the stories are very good. I, for one disagree when people call
the Squadron Supreme just a JLA rip-off. If that were true they would have
only shown up once, and definitely not in their own book.

						Kenneth W. Crist, Jr.
						University of Maryland

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (06/06/85)

> Can anyone tell where the Supreme Squadron had appeared before?
> I only vaguely remember a story with them and the Avengers.
> Something about the Vision, Scarlet Witch, et. al. chancing
> on a future alternative earth where the sun was going supernova.

It was in an issue of Avengers and I believe they were returning from deep
space via somebody's version of teleportation (it may have been after the
Kree/Skrull war).  The audience discovered that this was an alternate Earth
by a newspaper headline announcing a speech by President Hubert Humphrey,
which places the cover date of the issue somewhere between 1969 and 1972.  Of
course, the Avengers and the Squadron initially fought because the Squadron
was identical to the "Squadron Sinister" on the Avengers' Earth, and the
Squadron Supreme lived in what "appeared" to be the Avengers' mansion.