[net.comics] Some news and a nasty rumor

boyajian@akov68.DEC (06/11/85)

> From:	fluke!moriarty	(Jeff Meyer)

> Well, it looks like _Flash_ ends with issue #350.  Cover shows Barry
> walking off hand-in-hand with a women on the cover (her back is
> to the reader, so we can't tell who it is (but it's by Carmine
> Infantino, so we couldn't anyway)).  All it says is that Flash is
> re-united with his "true love", and that the character ends here.
> Looks to me like maybe Mr. Whiz finally traverses the dimensional
> barrier into Heaven ("Whoops!  I knew I should have taken a left
> turn at Albequerque!").  On the other hand, maybe CRISIS leaves
> him with a nice, peaceful Universe with an Iris clone on it....

Well, if you remember CRISIS #3, it mentions that Flash relocated to
some future time. As far as the book goes, one rumor that I've heard
is that after CRISIS is over, FLASH will continue with the title
character being Wally West.

> And now, the bad news:  Tucked away somewhere, it indicates
> rumors that Howard Chaykin is thinking of leaving
> _American_Flagg!_ in some capacity -- at the very least, art, and
> possibly scripting.  Again, these are only rumors, but if they get
> into _The_Comic_Buyer's_Guide_ they usually have something to
> them.  And while AF isn't as fresh as it was two years ago, it's still
> one of the things I can count on for solid entertainment.  After
> seeing some of the fill-in issues, I'd as soon that Chaykin just
> stopped the series except for an occasional new Graphic novel.
> Anyway, Mike Gold, editor for First Comics, makes it sound as if
> he'll stay with them.  Nothing lasts forever...

This is bad news indeed, if it's true. While I could see *some* writers and
artists successfully taking the book over (Alan Moore, for example? Twist
my arm....), it just wouldn't be the same. I'd prefer that Chaykin just
wrapped up the whole thing, too, rather than let it pass into other hands.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM