[net.comics] Moriarty's comments on CBG Poll results

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/13/85)

> From:	fluke!moriarty	(Jeff Meyer)

> Just got done looking over the results of The Comic Buyer's Guide,
> and had a few individual reactions to the different winners:
>
> First of all, note the ages of the people responding: the age group
> which voted most were the 14-year olds, and the mean age was 19.
> I know a lot of 12-15 year olds who thought SECRET WARS was the
> best thing to hit comics since the New X-Men; stand in your local
> comics shop on a Saturday morning for an hour, and you'll see
> what I mean.

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if this really is a Bad Thing. No, I'm
not about to change my opinion about SECRET BORES, but CRISIS ON INFINITE
EARTHS has had me thinking back to when I was 8 years old and being blown
away by such classics as "The Flash of Two Worlds" (FLASH #123), and
"Crisis on Earth-1/-2" (JLA #21-22) and so forth. I don't think that any
comics fan who wasn't around then can really understand the impact of
the "death" of Earth-3 or various other events on CRISIS.
	So what's this got to do with the matter at hand? Well, maybe
SECRET WARS is to today's 8-year-old what "Crisis on Earth-1/-2" was to
the 8-year-olds of 25 years ago. Hey, I still think it should be used as
bird-cage liner, but if it's Aces to the kids, what's wrong with that?

> BEST WRITER ABOUT COMICS:    R.A. Jones (of Amazing Heroes)
>
> 2nd:	Don Thompson
[...]
> I voted for Don myself -- his
> excellent reviews are half the reason I get the CBG -- but who is
> R.A. Jones?  What's he/she done?  Any opinion on his/her work?

Are you serious? Like the line says, he reviews comics for AMAZING HEROES
(which, if I recall, you have mentioned that you don't get), but you don't
recall the ads DC plastered all over the place listing RAJ's "10 Best",
which included 4 DC titles?
	RAJ is generally a good review. I find myself disagreeing with him
quite often, and occasionally (even when I agree with his general sentiment)
I think he [dis-]likes something for the wrong reason. But all in all, he's
fair, and he gives detailed reasons for his opinions. Judging by his various
reviews, he strikes me as having the basic viewpoint of the "average fan".

> PHIL SEULING AWARD for FAVORITE DIRECT SALES TITLE:
>
> Why is Nexus at 11th? (oh, yah,
> this is FAVORITE D.S. Title -- I suspect it might not appeal to some
> of the younger readers, unless New Wave has filtered down to Jr. High).

Probably more likely is was because there was only one issue of NEXUS (the
last Capital issue) out in 1984.

> FAVORITE PUBLICATION ABOUT COMICS:  Amazing Heroes
>
> Sorry to see The Reader at the bottom of the list.

Again, probably because there were very few issues out in 1984 (were there
*any*?).

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM