[net.comics] Kid's comic choices today & THE COMICS READER

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (06/16/85)

In article <2656@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>> From:	fluke!moriarty	(Jeff Meyer)
>> First of all, note the ages of the people responding: the age group
>> which voted most were the 14-year olds, and the mean age was 19.
>> I know a lot of 12-15 year olds who thought SECRET WARS was the
>> best thing to hit comics since the New X-Men; stand in your local
>> comics shop on a Saturday morning for an hour, and you'll see
>> what I mean.
>
>You know, I'm beginning to wonder if this really is a Bad Thing. No, I'm
>not about to change my opinion about SECRET BORES, but CRISIS ON INFINITE
>EARTHS has had me thinking back to when I was 8 years old and being blown
>away by such classics as "The Flash of Two Worlds" (FLASH #123), and
>"Crisis on Earth-1/-2" (JLA #21-22) and so forth. I don't think that any
>comics fan who wasn't around then can really understand the impact of
>the "death" of Earth-3 or various other events on CRISIS.
>	So what's this got to do with the matter at hand? Well, maybe
>SECRET WARS is to today's 8-year-old what "Crisis on Earth-1/-2" was to
>the 8-year-olds of 25 years ago. Hey, I still think it should be used as
>bird-cage liner, but if it's Aces to the kids, what's wrong with that?

Two things:  If a lot of kids buy that many issues of Secret Wars, it
encourages the industry to write something like Secret Wars as much as
possible.  And while this is fair, in terms of supply & demand, capitalism,
and The American Way (forget Truth & Justice), it means that comics *I* like
are more likely to be supplemented by series inspired by Secret Wars.

Secondly, if they're going to get into massive team-ups, I would prefer it
to be a well done example of the genre, like CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.  But
again, that's One Man's Opinion...
>> FAVORITE PUBLICATION ABOUT COMICS:  Amazing Heroes
>>
>> Sorry to see The Reader at the bottom of the list.
>
>Again, probably because there were very few issues out in 1984 (were there
>*any*?).

Yes a few, but their publishing irregularity does take them down quite a
bit.  It also makes their information dated when it hits the stands.  A
pity; I used to live for Jim Engel & Chuck Fiala's little reviews....

            "And that was the end of Grogan, the man who killed my father,
             raped and murdered my sister, burned my ranch, shot my dog, and
             stole my Bible!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA