[net.comics] A rather interesting reason for buying comics...

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (06/16/85)

In article <2914@sdcc3.UUCP> ee171ael@sdcc3.UUCP (GEOFFREY KIM) writes:
>In article <2573@decwrl.UUCP>, boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
>> But tell me, how do you *know* that "every issue after about 150 sucked"
>> unless you've read them? And if that's the case, why do you read a
>> comic that "sucks head"?
>
>I read it because the masses (who are asses) value this comic alot.
>I have every issue of the new XMEN, and it is going to be worth a
>fortune someday.

So you are collecting comics for monetary reasons only?  SECRET WARS II and
all that?

Well, from all indications, the glut of X-Men related things will mean that
it will be a good twenty or thirty years before these things become rare
(read: valuable).  Unless, of course, we have a nuclear war...

I have a different point-of-view: I keep my comics in good condition, but I
collect those which I enjoy, which I have enjoyed in the past and
sporadically please me now (the X-Men fits this category), and those which
look potentially interesting.  I'm in comics for the reading enjoyment, and
this has been a year with an excellent "harvest", in that sense.  I admit,
X-Men has not been up to the consistent standards of pre-150 books -- but it
has been good enough to buy.  In my opinion.

If I wanted to use my money to make more money, I'd begin investigating
market shares and that ilk (or maybe think about a trip to Columbia :-) ).
Comics is what I do for pleasure, and if a comic is not worth reading, it's
not worth buying.  You've got to give some of them a chance, but not
forever (TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is a good example of a title deserving
excommunication -- I know it's "hot", but it's no fun to read...).

I dunno -- maybe I should run a poll on net.comics asking whether one buys
titles more on a financial basis, or an entertainment basis.  What do you
think?

                "You're all MISTAKEN!  I got 65 girlfriends -- and a
                 LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP in the NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA