[net.comics] X-MEN and headsucking

boyajian@akov68.DEC (06/08/85)

> From:	sdcc3!ee171ael	(Larry G. Kim)  [From two different postings]

> Admit it.  The Xmen suck head right now.  Too much time IS
> wasted on character development and hardly any time on
> just a plain old good story.

While I can't argue that Claremont is perhaps throwing on the character
development at the expense of story, I don't see why this makes the
comic "suck head". In my book, character *is* the most important thing.
If you can't believe in the characters, the story means nothing.

> In fact, every issue after about 150 sucked.
> I won't give any reason because it is all too plain and
> evident.

Obviously it isn't *too* evident, otherwise no one would buy it.
But tell me, how do you *know* that "every issue after about 150 sucked"
unless you've read them? And if that's the case, why do you read a
comic that "sucks head"?

It's true that the comic hasn't been what it once was. After Byrne left,
there were very few issues that really stood out. The first non-Byrne
issue (#144 - Cyclops vs. D'Spayre); Kitty's Fairy Tale (#153); the
Belasco issue (#160), Kitty & Peter's break-up (#183), "Lifedeath" (#186).
The run of Paul Smith issues was quite good, in general.
	I have panned the comic when it deserves it, such as the second
Morlock 2-parter (#188-189) and the Kulan Gath garbage (#191-192). But
I also feel that when an issue is exceptional, it deserves a good mention.
The issue before last (#196) was worth a positive remark because of the
character development of Magneto, and his interaction with Rachel.
	Five or so years ago, I thought THE X-MEN was the greatest thing
since Swiss cheese. Now, it's definitely a second-stringer. Still, for the
most part, it's readable and enjoyable.

> I don't know why Jeff Meyer and the Jerry B. give it
> C ratings (on the average).  In my opinion it always
> deserves an F.

You've seen through my cover. I actually think THE X-MEN is a piece of
unredeemable trash, but no one (except Gary Groth) would ever take me
seriously as a reviewer if I admitted to despising the X-Men.

Anyone with an ounce of brains could figure out that Jeff and I give
it C's because we think it's a good comic. Just because *you* think it
deserves an F doesn't mean that *we* have to think so.

> The x-men are for little grade school kids who
> like to pretend that they are wolverine.

Quite likely so, but it's certainly not restricted to that audience.
First of all, I'm going on 32 and are a college graj-ee-ate. And secondly,
I've *never* (never? well, hardly ever) been fond of Wolverine. I presume
that you're referring to Wolverine's "I'm the best at what I do and what I
do isn't nice" character as what appeals to little kids. I've never cared
for that. The character had only started to appeal to me once he began
his father/daughter relationship with Kitty.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

ee171ael@sdcc3.UUCP (GEOFFREY KIM) (06/12/85)

In article <2573@decwrl.UUCP>, boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
> > From:	sdcc3!ee171ael	(Larry G. Kim)  [From two different postings]
> > In fact, every issue after about 150 sucked.
> > I won't give any reason because it is all too plain and
> > evident.
>
> Obviously it isn't *too* evident, otherwise no one would buy it.
> But tell me, how do you *know* that "every issue after about 150 sucked"
> unless you've read them? And if that's the case, why do you read a
> comic that "sucks head"?

I read it because the masses (who are asses) value this comic alot.
I have every issue of the new XMEN, and it is going to be worth a
fortune someday.  But come on Jerry, how can you like a comic that
started kids saying things like "Take that back BUB, or I'm gonna
have ta scrap you.  I'm the best at what I do and what I do isn't
very nice"

Sheeeeittt.

Larry G. Kim
(Oh don't worry, I graduate this year so you will never have to hear
me pollute this group anymore, (at least not under the ee171ael
userid :) ))
.

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/20/85)

> From:	sdcc3!ee171ael	(Larry G. Kim)

> In article <2573@decwrl.UUCP>, boyajian@akov68.DEC writes:
>> But tell me, how do you *know* that "every issue after about 150 sucked"
>> unless you've read them? And if that's the case, why do you read a
>> comic that "sucks head"?
>
> I read it because the masses (who are asses) value this comic alot.
> I have every issue of the new XMEN, and it is going to be worth a
> fortune someday.

It doesn't bother me particularly that you buy THE X-MEN for investment
purposes. It's your money. But why do you feel compelled to *read* it
if you dislike it so much?

>                  But come on Jerry, how can you like a comic that
> started kids saying things like "Take that back BUB, or I'm gonna
> have ta scrap you.  I'm the best at what I do and what I do isn't
> very nice"

Should I not like Dirty Harry movies because every other person in the
country says "Make my day"? What you describe is a problem with the
kids, not with the comic. Any comic (or book or movie or whatever)
should be judged on its own merits and failings, NOT by how its audience
reacts to it!
	I never said there wasn't anything wrong with the comic. But like
every comic, there is a balance between virtues and flaws. I like THE X-MEN
in general, because *what I find good in it outweighs what I find bad in it*.
If you want to disagree with this, fine by me, but why do you find this
concept so alien?