[net.comics] Saga of the Swamp Thing #40

kallis@pen.DEC (06/19/85)

	While I normally domn't review comics publicly, I'll gladly make an
exception in this case.  SOST#40 was special in many ways.
	I won''t say it's "daring" to build the whole plot on the menstrual
cycle, but it's certainly innovative; I was pleasantly surprised that
somebody would do it, and do it that well.
	The basic story was interesting, but disappointing in that the
situation started out in the hopeless rage of the Red Lodge and ended
the same way; that the woman didn't realize that she had the power to
throw off the restricting aspcts of the Red Lodge (and that she didn't
"off" her inufferable husband, who deserved what he didn't get); that
the wwerewolf aspect wasn't focused more.
	But the most disappointing aspect of the story was that the Samp
Thing was effectively extraneous.  In SOST#39, he played a central role
in resolving a problem; in SOST#40, he was merely a spectator.  With a
little more work, Swampy could be driven further into the background
until he becomes little more than a master of ceremonies for a tale ...
	This last thought is particularly unsettling because in the letter
column of the issue, the editors characterize the magazine as "a horror
comic"; funny, I've never thought of it that way, even though elements
of the stories are indeed flavored that way (it's more background against
which Swampy's growth and development are the foreground: would you call
"Rites of Spring" a horror story?).  If the editors get the idea of "horror
comic" fully into their minds, they could change the comic's flavor and
direction -- and not for the better.
	The one really good thing is that the written/visual script is ex-
tremely tight.  The kitchen knives shown in the first panel turn out to
be far more than background, for instance.  There's hardly a wasted word
or panel.  On that point alone, I think the comic's worth doing more than
reading: it should be studied.  It deserves it.

Steve Kallis, Jr.

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (06/26/85)

In article <2771@decwrl.UUCP> kallis@pen.DEC writes:
>	But the most disappointing aspect of the story was that the Samp
>Thing was effectively extraneous.  In SOST#39, he played a central role
>in resolving a problem; in SOST#40, he was merely a spectator.  With a
>little more work, Swampy could be driven further into the background
>until he becomes little more than a master of ceremonies for a tale ...

I don't think you need worry about ST becoming a "Cain & Abel" type
character.  Moore was, I think, pointing out that there was little the Swamp
Thing *could* do to stop/help the woman (people bent on suicide are
incredibly difficult to protect).

>	This last thought is particularly unsettling because in the letter
>column of the issue, the editors characterize the magazine as "a horror
>comic"; funny, I've never thought of it that way, even though elements
>of the stories are indeed flavored that way (it's more background against
>which Swampy's growth and development are the foreground: would you call
>"Rites of Spring" a horror story?).  If the editors get the idea of "horror
>comic" fully into their minds, they could change the comic's flavor and
>direction -- and not for the better.

No, I think horror comic is deserved, because this comic works at generating
horror (you wouldn't call the previous vampire story a romance, would you?
:-) ).  On the other hand, it's not a traditional horror comic -- nothing
like the House of Mystery or EC books.  Though I don't think Moore imitates
anyone (he is, after all, the most phenomenal addition to comics scripting
in the last 10 years), his work on ST does sometimes resemble the way
Stephen King does horror, i.e. combining well-developed, non-stock
characters with a horror story.  But the horror is there...

				"If this is foreplay, I'm a dead man!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA