[net.comics] Cerebus and Jaka

jims@tekig.UUCP (Jim Sells) (06/17/85)

OK, kiddies, it's speculation time.  Who do YOU think Jaka is married
to?  (To whom do you think Jaka is married?)  Send guesses to me, or
to net.comics if you are very very brave, and the winner gets a Cosmic
Brownie Point suitable for framing.

Actually, considering Dave Sim's evil sense of humor, it might be several
issues before we learn the answer to this.  Indeed, if he wants to be
really cruel we may never know.

My own method of guessing the mystery husband is to ask another question--
Who would marrry Jaka that would give the most trouble to Cerebus?

					Artemis?

							Jim
							...tektronix!tekig!jims

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (06/19/85)

My guess, I say My guess, is that Jaka is married to an albino.

                                      William Hughes

In article <2639@tekig.UUCP> jims@tekig.UUCP (Jim Sells) writes:
>OK, kiddies, it's speculation time.  Who do YOU think Jaka is married
>to?  (To whom do you think Jaka is married?)  Send guesses to me, or
>to net.comics if you are very very brave, and the winner gets a Cosmic
>Brownie Point suitable for framing.
>
>							Jim
>							...tektronix!tekig!jims

Okay, as long as we are collecting Cerebus Brownie Points, I figure we might as
well take a crack at these:

Church & State
==============
1. What is the significance of the Tarim gold pieces?

2. What is Bran really up to?  What is going on in the Red Marches?

3. Who are the two people in the bubbles? (the black and the white one)
   This one I'm pretty sure of.  In fact I'm almost positive.  See below.

4. Is Wiessaupt dead?

5. What/where will Cerebus do/go now?

Speculations
1. I believe this might be Tarim him/her/it self.  Getting ready for a
   come-back.  Bran may be mis-leading Cerebus, but he hasn't been wrong
   yet.  It is revealed somewhere (in the 50s?  I'm not sure) that the
   Terimite church did not become popular until a century after the death
   of Terim/Tarim.  This, I'm pretty sure, is the BIG story around which
   all the other stories will turn out to be revolving.

2. I'd say the Pigts are getting ready to do some major damage to civilisation
   as the church knows it.  Weren't they the ones that took apart the
   Black Tower dynasty?

3. Black bubble: Prof Charles X Claremont.
   White bubble: Astoria
   bank on this

4. I wouldn't put any money on Wiessaupt being dead.  Too good a bad guy.

5. Examine the progression thus far:
   1. Solo-barbarian
   2. Barbarian with small army
   3. Barbarian with larger army
   4. Kitchen-staff supervisor for Lord Julius
   5. Official Palnu representative in Iest
   6. Prime-minister of Iest
   7. Prime-minister in exile
   8. Prime-minister of Iest for life
   9. Most Holy
  10. ?????

   The progression is definitely upwards.  Will the cycle begin again?  I
   would guess not.  Sim has made it clear that he is not interested in
   writing a hack and slash type of comic.  His preference is towards intrigue.
   My guess is that Cerebus is now off to help the Pigts in whatever they
   are up to.

Since High Society lasted from 26-50, and Church and State started at 51 and
and seems to be wrapping up, I would venture the guess that we won't know
anything about the new direction until #76.  #75 will probably only be
finishing up this part of the story.  If my guess #5 is correct, #75 will
likely involve alot of Cerebus talking to Bran.

Only time will prove how horribly wrong I am.

From the desk of Jean Dixon while she is on vacation visiting Planet X,

Gilles Dignard
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario

jdb@qubix.UUCP (Jeff Bulf) (06/25/85)

> OK, kiddies, it's speculation time.  Who do YOU think Jaka is married
> to?  (To whom do you think Jaka is married?)  Send guesses to me, or
> Who would marrry Jaka that would give the most trouble to Cerebus?
> 					Artemis?

Good question. Also good approach. My first impulse is to guess
Artemis or Elrod. But with Dave's sense of humor, how about Weisshaupt!
or Charles X. Claremont.

    Speaking of Claremont, does anybody think he is the "dark" voice in
the strange white glowing ... thing? Is he also really Suentius Po?

    AAAAAAarrrrrggggggghhhhhh! I've got it! She's married to Astoria :-)

--
	Dr Memory
	...{amd,cbosgd,ihnp4}!qubix!jdb

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (06/26/85)

In article <15158@watmath.UUCP> csc@watmath.UUCP (William Hughes) writes:
>My guess, I say My guess, is that Jaka is married to an albino.

In which case, Jaka will soon be the *widow* of an albino....

                    Call me Moriarty, Zeck, Karla, or Bloefeld;
                       just don't call me late for dinner.

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsri}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

acsgjjp@sunybcs.UUCP (Jim Poltrone) (06/29/85)

> > OK, kiddies, it's speculation time.  Who do YOU think Jaka is married
> > to?  (To whom do you think Jaka is married?)
> > Who would marrry Jaka that would give the most trouble to Cerebus?
>
> Good question. Also good approach. My first impulse is to guess
> Artemis or Elrod. But with Dave's sense of humor, how about Weisshaupt!

I've only started reading Cerebus at #61 (and found it boring until #63).
And from what I've seen of Weisshaupt, not to mention Dave's humour, that
would be a logical choice.  (You mean he's not dead yet?  Awww.)  An old
politician with a young wife -- it seems rather typical (At least in
Wash. DC).  No wonder why his heart is weak (from going pitter-patter over
Jaka)!  :-)

Now for a totally ridiculous answer.  Who HAS been giving the most trouble
to Cerebus?  Boobah's too klutzy, Lord Julius is not the ladies' type, and
that other guy (Whaddaya mean...) is not too bright.  The only one I could
think of is....

   Henrot-Gutch!
(They say that mothers-in-law have strange ways of cropping up.....)

Speaking of the wizard's ex, you don't suppose.....nah.  Sophia -is- his
daughter, but would he be upset that his kid left the earth-pig born?
(Flamers:  Let me re-read the first Swords and I'll get back to you, ok?)

Hey, we haven't seen the Roach in a while.  Could it be......

Or how about that guy who lost his shirt playing Diamondback against Cerebus?

Last but not least, would Dave add regulars from "Aardvark Comment" to his
story?  Will Mike Bannon start writing Cerebus obnoxious letters?  :-)
Would Connie start lusting after the aardvark? (In the story, I mean.)
--
(Forgive me, it's Friday afternoon and I'm about to go home.  These are all
wild speculations that just came off the top of my head.)

From the House on the Knoll, not far from the Holt...
Jim Poltrone  (a/k/a Poltr1, the Last of the Raster Blasters)
uucp: [decvax,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!acsgjjp
ARPAnet, CSnet: acsgjjp%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY         BITNET:  ACSGJJP@SUNYABVA

betsy@dartvax.UUCP (Betsy Hanes Perry) (07/02/85)

It seems that we're forgetting a couple of important facts:

1.  Who *recommended* this 'Jaka' to Cerebus?

    Right, the mysterious voices in the basement.  And just how far do
    we trust them, hmmmm?

2.  What relationship is the real Jaka to Lord Julius?

    His mistress.  Remember Astoria?  "I was his 'niece', too, but
    at least he married me!"  So why is this woman being sentimental
    about 'how nice Lord Julius was before he was corrupted by power?'
    I mean, Lord Julius may be corrupt, but he's *always* been corrupt.
    He's just that kinda guy.  Of all the people to get sentimental about,
    Lord Julius strikes me as a poor choice.

3.  Assuming this 'Jaka' is a fake, what do the voices have to gain
    by presenting Cerebus with his true love?

    Hint:  this Jaka has convinced Cerebus to leave town.  No more
    Most Holy to contend with.  The list of people who would benefit
    by this is endless.

"Varra, even I'm starting to be confused by this..."
--
Elizabeth Hanes Perry
UUCP: {decvax |ihnp4 | linus| cornell}!dartvax!betsy