[net.comics] Dangermouse and Penfold???

harry@ucbvax.ARPA (07/05/85)

From: harry (Harry I. Rubin)

I've recently seen some oblique references to some characters called
Dangermouse and his sidekick (?) Penfold.  They look to be very funny,
are their books in fact good fun?  Does anyone know what book or books
they appear in?  Are they still being published?  What about other similar
characters?
Replies to the net.
Thanks very much.				Harry Rubin

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (Mike Ciaraldi) (07/08/85)

> From: harry (Harry I. Rubin)
>
> I've recently seen some oblique references to some characters called
> Dangermouse and his sidekick (?) Penfold.  They look to be very funny,
> are their books in fact good fun?  Does anyone know what book or books
> they appear in?  Are they still being published?  What about other similar
> characters?
> Replies to the net.
> Thanks very much.				Harry Rubin

By a strange coincidence, the new issue of
COMICS COLLECTOR (#9--Fall, 1985) has several articles on
DANGERMOUSE!

First is an interview with Brian cosgrove, director and
co-producer of the TV series.
Now the truth comes out, about how many episodes there are
(about 140, ranging from 5 to 25 minutes), who does the
voices, and the Origin of Penfold:

     It's quite funny, really, you see, because this is recorded
     historically that Penfold just came in off the street.
     He's not a trained assistant spy.  He just came in off
     the street one day, and Dangermouse, being a little bit
     soft-hearted, didn't have the coursage to kick him out.
     He just carried Penfold around with him.

The second article is "Dangermouse: Mouse in a Million" by
Martin Lock (of CONQUEROR fame) which points out that DM
is seen on TV, in the Sunday funnies, on videotape, in
computer games (for the Sinclair Spectrum and Commodore 64),
and even in a hardcover annual.

Finally (actually it's toward the front), there is a review of
the first three videotape compilations, which the reviewer
liked.

Now that you've read about DM, where do you see him?
He's on the Nickelodeon network on cable TV.
Sorry I don't know the time, but it's several times
each week at least.

Also in this issue,  An article by WENDY PINI
on "Women, Comics, and Elfquest", and an interview with her.
(also a picture of Wendy in her Red Sonja costume).

All in all, a good issue.
COMICS COLLECTOR is published quarterly by Krause Publications
(same company as COMICS BUYERS GUIDE) and is magazine-sized for $2.25.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

ucoelm@sw1c.UUCP (07/08/85)

As for your requests for availability information on Dangermouse publications,
I have never seen Dangermouse in print. That, of course, doesn't mean that
there isn't anything in print. If it is, it is probably an English publication
since the characters are English. This discussion probably belongs in net.tv
since my total exposure to Dangermouse is via that medium. Dangermouse and
Penfold are the only cartoon characters that I consistently watch anymore. I
think the writing is hilarious. The script writers are obviously aiming toward
adults as in the old Warner Brothers cartoons.

The humor can be pure slapstick such as when Dangermouse gets thrown into the
side of a mountain, or it can be verbal (some of which is subtle) such as:
(The quotes may not be as precise as I would like them to be as I am doing
them from memory)
-----------
(Scenario: DM and Penfold are captured and shackled to a wall with only
minimal limb movement possible. DM has thought of a possible method of escape.)
"Penfold, toss that power crystal that I gave to you on my foot."
"The last time I dropped something on your foot you were ever so cross."
"Well, that WAS a steam iron then Penfold."
------------
(Sometimes the (questionable) humor can almost go over your head because of
British slang or geography, for example:)
(Scenario: A character has just introduced himself to DM and he has a middle
initial of M.)
DM: "What's the M for?"
"The M4 is a motorway from London to South Wales, ask me another."
(If you hadn't heard of the M4 before, you probably wouldn't have gotten
the joke--such as it was.)
------------
(One time they even addressed my other favorite British TV show.)
(Scenario: Through a series of incidents, it is becoming apparent to DM that
this grandfather clock he is inside is really a time machine.)
"You know, Penfold, I don't think this is a clock at all but a time machine."
"But DM, I thought a clock was a time machine."
"No, I mean a machine that moves through time."
"OH, you mean like that Doctor."
"Who."
"I forget."
-------------
Actually, much of the humor is a real groaner but I can't help smiling at
even those. If you have cable and are receiving Nickelodeon, then you are
receiving Dangermouse. I think it is on twice a day during the weekdays
and once a day during the weekends. I usually watch the 6:30 PM Central
showing. There may be some local stations around the country showing DM, but
I haven't heard. Hope this helps.

--
					Lee Morehead
				Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

My opinions are my own ... no one else will claim them.

"Tell them Willy boy is here...and he's eating the furniture again."

scott@hou2g.UUCP (N. Ersha) (07/08/85)

Let's see if I can beat Moriarty to the punch (by the way Jeff,
thanks for turning me on to the "White Wonder")

Dangermouse is not a book (yet :-)), but a British cartoon
series.  Probably the best way to describe it is to imagine
Bullwinkle being done by Monty Python...

Unfortunately, the only place it can be seen is (twice a day!)
on the Nickelodeon cable network.  So if you don't get cable,
tough luck (or, this is another reason to get it)

			SJBerry

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (07/09/85)

> Dangermouse is not a book (yet :-)), but a British cartoon
> series.  Probably the best way to describe it is to imagine
> Bullwinkle being done by Monty Python...
>
> Unfortunately, the only place it can be seen is (twice a day!)
> on the Nickelodeon cable network.  So if you don't get cable,
> tough luck (or, this is another reason to get it)

Not true!!! There is at least one videocassette available (I think
Thames puts it out) containing six episodes.

"Grovel!!
I'm sorryI'm sorry, Master!
Och, no, get up!!!...."

Mark Modig