[net.comics] Various followups by Henry Vogel

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Henry Vogel) (07/17/85)

>From: harry (Harry I. Rubin)
>
>I've recently seen some oblique references to some characters called
>Dangermouse and his sidekick (?) Penfold.  They look to be very funny,
>are their books in fact good fun?  Does anyone know what book or books
>they appear in?  Are they still being published?  What about other similar
>characters?
>Replies to the net.
>Thanks very much.				Harry Rubin

Dangermouse is a British cartoon. Over here it can be seen every day on
Nicholodean (sp?) - the children's network (which is not just for kids)
at 7:30. DM (as he is sometimes called - or the White Wonder, the Remarkable
Rodent and (by his enemies) the Witless Wonder or the Rediculous Rodent)
is probably the best cartoon available nation-wide at this time. I think
it captures the flavor of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons (highest praise, in
my opinion). As of right now, there is no Dangermouse comic book, but if
his popularity continues to increase, it might not be too long! Meanwhile,
if you can get Nickolodean in your area, check DM out, you won't be
disapointed!

>In article <788@vax2.fluke.UUCP> henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay writes:
>
>>Why is this? Part of DC's problem,
>>I think, is they doomed themselves in the 70's when they put out such trash
>>and it still sold. Then Marvel passed them by and kept pulling away and DC
>>finally decided they needed to do something.
>
>Bernie Roehl replies:
>Possibly, but that was a *long* time ago.  The stuff DC's been putting out
>lately is not only as good as what Marvel's doing, it's actually better.
>As I mentioned a few postings back, I used to read almost nothing but Marvel,
>but the number of DC books I've been reading has steadily increased, while
>my interest in Marvel has steadily declined.  In fact, I've crossed the line;
>when I started reading Swamp Thing (*highly* recommended!) and gave up on
>Secret Bores II, I took a count.  I now read more DC than Marvel.
>
>Saying that DC put out trash 15 years ago may be true; saying that Marvel's
>the front-runner now is ridculous.

Please go back and re-read what I said there. I was talking about sales figures
not the quality of the books being publisher. Two lines above where you started
quoting me, I wrote this: "What is causing this? Lack of sales, of course."
When I said Marvel had passed DC, I was, of course, talking about sales. There
is NO doubt that Marvel is selling considerably more books than DC. Hell,
Marvel owns a full 50% of the comic market in this country! During the entire
paragraph you took offense to, I was discussing possible reasons for DC's
continues poor sales. If I thought the books they were publishing today were
trash, I wouldn't have bothered to mention the stuff from the 70's. I don't
think that, though. Next time, please double check the context of the quote
you're using!

Henry Vogel
henry%clemson.csnet@csnet-relay