[net.comics] X-Rumor

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/19/85)

> From:	gsg!kathy	(Kathy Smith)

> 	I heard a rumor concerning future developments from Marvel involving
> the X-men which I fervently hope is full of <expletive deleted>. I'm posting
> this in hopes that someone out there has heard something more reliable about
> it.
>	As you probably already know, Marvel is killing the Defenders (clearly
> a mercy killing) and replacing it with a new magazine called the X-Factor,
> which will consist of the old X-Men.  The official word is that it will consist
> of Cyclops, Angel, the Beast, and the Iceman, plus a fifth surprise member.
>
>	Now the rumor: it will be revealed that Phoenix was really not Jean
> Grey, but an elemental force which took her place.  The real Jean has been
> lieing at the bottom of the ocean in suspended animation since the shuttle
> crash, and will now be discovered and revived.  She will join the X-Factor
> in her Marvel Girl variation, and Scott will discover he is still in love
> with her after all, and ditch Madeleine.

> 	Can somebody out there PLEASE tell me that this isn't true?  Surely
> not even a company which can produce something as idiotic as the Secret Wars
> can do something THIS crocked?

Well, since I was one of the people responsible for this rumor floating
around net.comics, it behooves me to answer.

My source for this juicy tidbit heard it right from Claremont's mouth. The
word is that it's all Shooter's idea, hoping to please all those folks who
were upset about his decision to have Phoenix snuffed. From what my source
says, Claremont is Not Pleased with all this.

>	Also, does anyone out there know whether the New Mutants are changing
> artists permanently, or whether the Sinkiewicz (excuse the spelling, I haven't
> got an issue in front of me to check it) is just taking a leave of abscence?

The latest word is that Leialoha is filling in for three issues (the Karma
storyline --- #32-34), and then Mary Wilshire will take over for an indefinite
period of time. Sienkiewicz is reportedly going to stay on as inker for the
Wilshire-pencilled issues.
	In case you're not familiar with Wilshire, she is currently pencilling
RED SONJA, as well as having done some POWER PACK work. She's quite good, and
I'm eager to see her work on THE NEW MUTANTS.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA