[net.comics] Batman conjecture

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (06/29/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

A recent posting conjectured that Batman might be killed off in
CRISIS, but wondered about the merchandising problems.

What if Bruce Wayne dies and Dick Grayson, alienated from the
Teen Titans by Kori'andr's marriage to someone else,
become the new Batman?

I realize that the analogous thing has been proposed
for The Flash, namely that Wally West would take over.
Perhaps that will be the outcome of the Kid Flash mini-series
that Harlan Ellison is supposed to be writing.

One final Batman/Robin note:

In recent Detective and Batman issues, Robin has been working
closely with Harvey Bullock.  In the latest issue, Bullock
starts pumping Robin for info about himself and how
long he has been with the Batman, and wonders about why Robin
seems to be smaller and younger than he used to be.
Looks like Doug Moench is going to clear up the question
of why no one has noticed the change in Robins.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

gm@trsvax (07/05/85)

     Jason Todd (the new Robin) definitely wants to be the next Batman.
In "Detective 551" Bruce says to think about being in his (Batman's)
shoes and Jason responds that that's what he is working for. As for
Dick Grayson, I can't envision him leaving the Titans for a long time.
Also a Frank(?) Miller mini-series has been announced about a 50 year
old Batman coming out of retirement for one last case. This was origin-
ally the "The Dark Knight" graphic novel but has benn switched to the
mini-series. It will also feature a new female Robin (Holy Women's
Lib, Batman) and a very old Joker.

					Red skies at morning,
					Super heroes take warning.

					gm@trsvax.UUCP

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/19/85)

> From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

> A recent posting conjectured that Batman might be killed off in
> CRISIS, but wondered about the merchandising problems.
>
> What if Bruce Wayne dies and Dick Grayson, alienated from the
> Teen Titans by Kori'andr's marriage to someone else,
> become the new Batman?

When I first made the conjecture, it was mostly due to the ads for
THE OUTSIDERS that indicated, without saying so, that Batman would
no longer be a member. Since I thought that this fact would be of
reasonable importance, I wondered why no one had made mention of the
fact anywhere. From there, I suspected that maybe DC wasn't saying
anything because they might be planning on bumping off the character.
And the problems with reconciling the Earth-1 Batman with the Huntress
added fuel to the fire.

In the AMAZING HEROES PREVIEW SPECIAL #1, it *still* says nothing
about Batman leaving the Outsiders (even while making it clear that
they are moving to Hollywood), but in the entry for JUSTICE LEAGUE OF
AMERICA, it says, "Batman will return to the group and will probably
serve as temporary leader."

> Looks like Doug Moench is going to clear up the question
> of why no one has noticed the change in Robins.

I recall a mention in one of the lettercols that Moench hadn't cleared
it up already because he hadn't planned to stay on the books this long,
and was going to leave it for the next writer. But after he realized
that he wanted to do the books indefinitely, he started to work toward
clearing up the matter.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA