[net.comics] Kamandi & Crisis

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/19/85)

> From: allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert)

> I've wondered about another thing: Is this the "Great Cataclysm"
> that brings about the world that Kamandi lives in??  It seems to me
> that that world may be (has been?) difficult to incorporate into
> the rest of the DC universe.  Any thoughts?

Yes. This is one of the things that has been totally screwed up at DC.
KAMANDI was originally planned to *not* be part of the regular DC
continuity until Kirby put in a reference to Superman (in fact, Kamandi
ran across Superman's costume). It was then decided that Kamandi's
timeline was a different possible future than the Legion's (there have
been other possible futures described in other DC comics). I have a feeling
that the entire Kamandi timeline will be eliminated, though I have no
evidence of that fact.
	As for the Great Cataclysm, this is one of the things that is so
screwed up in the series. When Kirby first did the series, he insisted
that Kamandi's world was the result of a natural disaster, not war. But
later, when others got their hands on it, it was decided that it really
*was* a war that caused it. Furthermore, an article in the "house" fanzine
THE AMAZING WORLD OF DC COMICS tied in the Atomic Knights and Hercules
Unbound series (not to mention Kirby's own OMAC series) into the Kamandi
timeline. If I remember correctly, part of the initial cause of the war was
the "Final Conflict" between Darkseid and Orion (nothing was left amiss!).
	Of course, now that it's been revealed that the whole Atomic
Knights/Hercules bit was a crock, we have even more problems. And who knows
where the new HEX series comes into this.

Like I said, totally screwed up. Eliminating the Kamandi timeline altogether
is the best thing they could do to clear all this up.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA