[net.comics] Rachel

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/20/85)

> From: harry@ucbvax.ARPA	(Harry I. Rubin)

> The X-people's present world *seems* to be different from Rachel's past,
> but is it really a different past?  Consider:
>	o anti-mutant sentiment is rising, slowly but surely
>	o Jean Grey is returning!!  Who says Scott and Jean can't be
>	  Rachel's parents?!?
>	o In Rachel's original world/time, Peter and Kitty (Kate) were married.
>	  "Our" Peter and Kitty seem to be working out their problems
> [...]
> So what do you think? Could the current X-Men's world really be Rachel's past?
> Could Scott end up married to Jean yet?

There are two facts that you're either ignoring, have forgotten, or don't
know that indicate that Rachel's past *is* a alternate time stream from the
current one:

(1) In the issue in which Rachel first appears in the present (#184, I think),
she freaks out when she sees a news report on the tv about Senator Kelly and
his Mutant Control Bill. In *her* time stream, Kelly was killed by the Evil
Mutants, whereas in "ours", the X-Men saved him.

(2) In the same issue, she has a flashback (or is it a flashforward? Isn't
time travel fun? :-)) in which she recalls the death of Xavier in a govern-
mental (?) attack on the mansion. In the current time stream, Xavier is
(from rumors I've heard, as well as reading between the lines in the AMAZING
HEROES PREVIEW entry for THE X-MEN) going to bite the big one in #200.

> One more, straight out of left field:
> Scott's current wife is Maddy Pryor. The lead singer of an English folk-rock
> group called Steeleye Span was named Maddy Prior.  Do you suppose ....
> It *could* be just a coincidence ....  What kind of music does Claremont
> listen to, anyway ....?
> (Steeleye Span has broken up.  Maddy Prior has at least one solo album out -
> "Woman in the Wings.")

It's not just coincidence. Claremont did indeed name the character after the
Span's singer. If you really want to flip, though, check out AVENGERS ANNUAL
#10. The scene in the hospital has a little girl whose name is Maddy Pryor.
I asked Claremont about this once, and he claims that there's no connection.
When he came up with Scott's wife, he'd forgotten about the earlier character.
	And btw, Steeleye Span has *not* broken up, or rather, they're back
together. I saw them just a month-and-a-half ago on a triple bill with Fair-
port Convention and Renaissance. They've also got a new album coming out,
though I've forgotten when they said it'd be out.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA