[net.comics] Rachel's past == our future? and Steeleye Span

harry@ucbarpa (07/23/85)

From: harry@ucbarpa (Harry I. Rubin)

Subject: Re: Rachel
Newsgroups: net.comics

In article <3217@decwrl.UUCP> jayembee writes:
>> From: harry@ucbvax.ARPA	(Harry I. Rubin)
>> The X-people's present world *seems* to be different from Rachel's past,
>> but is it really a different past?
>
>There are two facts that you're either ignoring, have forgotten, or don't
>know that indicate that Rachel's past *is* a alternate time stream from the
>current one:
>
>(1) In the issue in which Rachel first appears in the present (#184, I think),
>she freaks out when she sees a news report on the tv about Senator Kelly and
>his Mutant Control Bill. In *her* time stream, Kelly was killed by the Evil
>Mutants, whereas in "ours", the X-Men saved him.

I had forgotten about that, BUT, the Evil Mutants are nothing if not
persistant, and could yet do him in.  In fact, Our Heros are becoming
increasingly disillusioned about the rest of the world hating them.
Next, time they might say the h*ll with it, and let the Evil Mutants
kill Sen. Kelly.

>(2) In the same issue, she has a flashback
>in which she recalls the death of Xavier in a govern-
>mental (?) attack on the mansion. In the current time stream, Xavier is
>(from rumors ... ) going to bite the big one in #200.

I'd forgotten that too.  I suppose I could invent a scenario to get around
this, but it would have to be pretty far-fetched.

>> Scott's current wife is Maddy Pryor. The lead singer of an English folk-rock
>> group called Steeleye Span was named Maddy Prior.  Do you suppose ....
>
>It's not just coincidence.

Well, I am amazed!  The intersection of the music world and the comics world.

>	And btw, Steeleye Span has *not* broken up, or rather, they're back
>together. I saw them just a month-and-a-half ago on a triple bill with Fair-
>port Convention and Renaissance. They've also got a new album coming out,
>though I've forgotten when they said it'd be out.

That's good news.  I'll have to keep watch for it.