[net.comics] Rachel's past == our future?

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/24/85)

In article <9257@ucbvax.ARPA> harry@ucbarpa writes:
>In article <3217@decwrl.UUCP> jayembee writes:
>>> From: harry@ucbvax.ARPA	(Harry I. Rubin)
>>> The X-people's present world *seems* to be different from Rachel's past,
>>> but is it really a different past?
>>
>>There are two facts that you're either ignoring, have forgotten, or don't
>>know that indicate that Rachel's past *is* a alternate time stream from the
>>current one:
>>
>>(1) In the issue in which Rachel first appears in the present(#184, I think),
>>she freaks out when she sees a news report on the tv about Senator Kelly and
>>his Mutant Control Bill. In *her* time stream, Kelly was killed by the Evil
>>Mutants, whereas in "ours", the X-Men saved him.
>
>I had forgotten about that, BUT, the Evil Mutants are nothing if not
>persistant, and could yet do him in.  In fact, Our Heros are becoming
>increasingly disillusioned about the rest of the world hating them.
>Next, time they might say the h*ll with it, and let the Evil Mutants
>kill Sen. Kelly.

In #199, Mystique cuts a deal with the Feds to make the Brotherhood a
super-powered SWAT team, under the title 'Freedom Force'.  Her justifications
are reasonable: anti-mutie sentiment is getting out of hand, this way
she and her crew are seen as good-upright-law-n-order-amurricans.  If
this holds up, so much for them doing in Kelly (unless he gets caught
as a bystander...Hmmm....)

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are" - B. Banzai