[net.comics] Flash conjecture

ciaraldi@rochester.UUCP (06/29/85)

From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

I suppose everyone knows that Barry and Iris Allen are reunited
in the 30th Century in Flash #350. (if not, that's what the "Spoiler Warning"
is for!).
One of the potential continuity problems I mentioned many months ago is
that it was established a long time ago that in the 30th Century
(in the timeline of the Legion of SuperHeroes), there
are two speedsters called The Tornado Twins who are descendants
of Barry Allen.

I remember wondering when I first heard this that it seemed strange that
something like chemically-induced super speed could be inheritable
over a span of 1000 years.

Anyway, a few years ago, when Iris seemed to have died, someone wrote in
about this, and the letter-column reply was that Barry would presumably
remarry some day.

Well, it occurs to me that if Barry and Iris are now living
in the 30th Century, they could have children who could turn out to
be the Tornado Twins, or possibly B and I could be the grandparents
of the Twins.  It seems to hang together nicely.

The only thing that is still bothering me is that I remember someone else
saying that the future that Iris came from and the future of the LSH
are not in the same timeline.  Does any know if this
is established, or why this is supposed to be true?
Of course, if CRISIS winds up merging the timelines, that
could fix everything up.

Mike Ciaraldi
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/19/85)

> From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>

> I suppose everyone knows that Barry and Iris Allen are reunited
> in the 30th Century in Flash #350....
>
> One of the potential continuity problems I mentioned many months ago is
> that it was established a long time ago that in the 30th Century
> (in the timeline of the Legion of SuperHeroes), there are two speedsters
> called The Tornado Twins who are descendants of Barry Allen.
> [...]
> Well, it occurs to me that if Barry and Iris are now living
> in the 30th Century, they could have children who could turn out to
> be the Tornado Twins, or possibly B and I could be the grandparents
> of the Twins.  It seems to hang together nicely.

The answer is simple. One of the impressions I've gotten is that once
CRISIS is all done, anything that happened before it is --- in the words
of an infamous Presidential Press Secretary --- no longer operative, or
rather, no longer *necessarily* operative. So, if anything they do from
then on conflicts with something published 15 years ago, tough toenails.
So, considering that the Tornado Twins appeared only once (I believe), in
the late 60's, DC might just decide that they never existed.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

kalash@ucbingres.ARPA (Joe Kalash) (07/22/85)

In article <3194@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>> that it was established a long time ago that in the 30th Century
>> (in the timeline of the Legion of SuperHeroes), there are two speedsters
>> called The Tornado Twins who are descendants of Barry Allen.

>So, considering that the Tornado Twins appeared only once (I believe), in
>the late 60's, DC might just decide that they never existed.

	Excuse my possibly faulty memory but I seem to recall when they
DID appear, at the end of the comic it turned out the chemical (comet?)
that they used to give them their powers wore off, leaving them normal
humans again (they knew about this, they were just celebrating the
1000th anniversry of Flash's something or other). At least, that is
how I remember the story line from lo these many years ago.

	Also, the two twins who are the Tornado Twins just appeared in
the current Legion Annual (although only for about 2 frames). They
indicated no powers to speak of.

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/22/85)

In article <3194@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:

>So, considering that the Tornado Twins appeared only once (I believe), in
>the late 60's, DC might just decide that they never existed.

Check the current Legion Annual, where the Twins are rescued from their
apartment (with a statue of the Flash in it).  No mention made, however,
of how many generations back the relationship goes.

Also, from CRISIS #8, it looks as if ALL those previous Flash appearances
were 'our' Barry.  So much for the 'some other timeline' ideas (including
my own).

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are" - B. Banzai

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (07/23/85)

In article <3194@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>> From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi>
>
>> I suppose everyone knows that Barry and Iris Allen are reunited
>> in the 30th Century in Flash #350....
>>
>> One of the potential continuity problems I mentioned many months ago is
>> that it was established a long time ago that in the 30th Century
>> (in the timeline of the Legion of SuperHeroes), there are two speedsters
>> called The Tornado Twins who are descendants of Barry Allen.
>> [...]
>
>The answer is simple. One of the impressions I've gotten is that once
>CRISIS is all done, anything that happened before it is --- in the words
>of an infamous Presidential Press Secretary --- no longer operative, or
>rather, no longer *necessarily* operative. So, if anything they do from
>then on conflicts with something published 15 years ago, tough toenails.
>So, considering that the Tornado Twins appeared only once (I believe), in
>the late 60's, DC might just decide that they never existed.
>
>--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

Sorry.  The Tornado Twins have *just* been re-introduced to a potentially
adoring public by the Legion Annual.  So much for pretending they never
happened.

Hutch

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/26/85)

> From:	shark!hutch

> In article <3194@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
> [...]
>>So, considering that the Tornado Twins appeared only once (I believe), in
>>the late 60's, DC might just decide that they never existed.
>
> Sorry.  The Tornado Twins have *just* been re-introduced to a potentially
> adoring public by the Legion Annual.  So much for pretending they never
> happened.

Yeah, no sooner do I open up my big mouth and say what I quote above than
the characters appear in the LEGION ANNUAL. Sigh.