[net.comics] Welcome To The Bazzar!

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (07/19/85)

   I have a question concerning the latest issue of WARP Graphics `Myth
Adventures' (#5): On page 9 and again on page 15 we see a couple trying
to sell a small dragon to a Deveel, the man in the bowler is Phil Foglio
(at least that's the way he drew himself for the Star Trek convention re-
ports).  My question is who is the woman and where is the dragon from?
   There's a lot of hidden stuff in `Myth Adventures' and although I catch
most of it some just goes WHOOOOSH! (sound effects acompanied by user's
hand going over one's head at considerable speed).  I assume the dragon is
from some story somewhere and the women the author?  Friend?  Wife?  Parole
officer?

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (07/21/85)

In article <822@voder.UUCP> kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:

>   I have a question concerning the latest issue of WARP Graphics `Myth
>Adventures' (#5): On page 9 and again on page 15 we see a couple trying
>to sell a small dragon to a Deveel, the man in the bowler is Phil Foglio
>(at least that's the way he drew himself for the Star Trek convention re-
>ports).  My question is who is the woman and where is the dragon from?
>   There's a lot of hidden stuff in `Myth Adventures' and although I catch
>most of it some just goes WHOOOOSH! (sound effects acompanied by user's
>hand going over one's head at considerable speed).  I assume the dragon is
>from some story somewhere and the women the author?  Friend?  Wife?  Parole
>officer?

(Obviously someone who doesn't read Dragon Magazine)

The two characters in the background are Phil & Dixie from the "What's New"
strip that was in Dragon Magazine.  Each month the two would review
a different aspect of gaming (new games, miniatures (no flamethrowers!!),
sci-fi games, superhero games, etc.) in an offbeat and humorous fashion (to
say the least!).  Phil in the strip is indeed based on Phil Phoglio
(pronounced 'Folio' as in 'Phoglio's Folio' :-).  Dixie though has no firm
basis.  Phil says he is based on several women he has known (I believe he
mentioned one in particular to me, but I can't remember specifics).

Now the dragon:  This little guy was a character that popped up very early
in the history of "What's New" (I believe it was the second or third strip,
I'm not sure).  He's a generally harmless dragon (not strong enough to
really cause serious physical harm, but enough to be a nuisance (he can
destroy a good car though!)).  BUT!! Never, *ever* get him near water.
You see, he has this little problem with reproduction when it comes to
anything like H2O.  He multiplies when in contact with the stuff (if you will
look back at issue #5 of MythAdventures, you will see the consequences of
this problem popping up near the end of the issue).

Hope this helped.

  GGGGGG    RRRRRRRR      OOOOOO    WW      WW  FFFFFFFFFF    ??????
GG      GG  RR      RR  OO      OO  WW      WW  FF          ??      ??
GG          RR      RR  OO      OO  WW      WW  FF                  ??
GG    GGGG  RRRRRRRR    OO      OO  WW  WW  WW  FFFFFFFF          ??
GG      GG  RR  RR      OO      OO  WW  WW  WW  FF              ??
GG      GG  RR    RR    OO      OO  WWWW  WWWW  FF
  GGGGGG    RR      RR    OOOOOO    WW      WW  FF              ??

:-)

Chris Andersen
--
tektronix!azure!chrisa

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/22/85)

In article <822@voder.UUCP> kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:

>   I have a question concerning the latest issue of WARP Graphics `Myth
>Adventures' (#5): On page 9 and again on page 15 we see a couple trying
>to sell a small dragon to a Deveel, the man in the bowler is Phil Foglio
>(at least that's the way he drew himself for the Star Trek convention re-
>ports).  My question is who is the woman and where is the dragon from?
>   There's a lot of hidden stuff in `Myth Adventures' and although I catch
>most of it some just goes WHOOOOSH! (sound effects acompanied by user's
>hand going over one's head at considerable speed).  I assume the dragon is
>from some story somewhere and the women the author?  Friend?  Wife?  Parole
>officer?

Phil drew a strip for the DRAGON magazine put out by TSR for a number of
years called "What's New?".  The two principals were "Phil and Dixie";
Phil has sworn up and down that Dixie was NOT supposed to be a parody
of any of his SO's, past or present.  The dragon was an occasional nuisance
who would wander in, flame (literally) the area, and wander out, leaving
smoked Phil et al.

Phil is in the habit of dropping asides in his cartoons mentioning
friends, competitors, etc.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are" - B. Banzai

rgs@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Robert Stockton) (07/23/85)

> From: nsc!voder!kevin@seismo (The Last Bugfighter)
>
>   I have a question concerning the latest issue of WARP Graphics `Myth
>Adventures' (#5): On page 9 and again on page 15 we see a couple trying
>to sell a small dragon to a Deveel, the man in the bowler is Phil Foglio
>(at least that's the way he drew himself for the Star Trek convention re-
>ports).  My question is who is the woman and where is the dragon from?

These two characters are "Phil" and "Dixie" from the "What's New?" cartoon in
Dragon magazine.  This cartoon was written (I believe) and drawn by Phil
Foglio.  I'm not sure whether or not it is still running, but it is probably
worth seeking out in any case.  The little dragon first showed up in this
strip as well, and (as you might guess from Myth Adventures) has a tendency
to be "explosively parthenogenic" upon exposure to water.  It would be
interesting to find out whether this critter was introduced before or after
"Gremlins" came out (I rather suspect that the dragon come first).

--
Robert Stockton
ARPA: rgs@CMU-CS-SPICE.ARPA

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (07/24/85)

In article <822@voder.UUCP> kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) writes:

>   I have a question concerning the latest issue of WARP Graphics `Myth
>Adventures' (#5): On page 9 and again on page 15 we see a couple trying
>to sell a small dragon to a Deveel, the man in the bowler is Phil Foglio
>(at least that's the way he drew himself for the Star Trek convention re-
>ports).  My question is who is the woman and where is the dragon from?
>   There's a lot of hidden stuff in `Myth Adventures' and although I catch
>most of it some just goes WHOOOOSH! (sound effects acompanied by user's
>hand going over one's head at considerable speed).  I assume the dragon is
>from some story somewhere and the women the author?  Friend?  Wife?  Parole
>officer?

Foglio has been doing a cartoon in the back of "Dragon" magazine where
the main characters are the guy in the bowler hat, the girl and the little
dragon.  Most of these cartoons are humorous spoofs of various aspects
of role playing.  One of the standing jokes is that the next
issue will contain a cartoon entitled "Sex and D&D" which is always
postponed to the issue after that.

Also the guy in the bowler shows up briefly in "D'arc Tangent".

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (07/24/85)

>    I have a question concerning the latest issue of WARP Graphics `Myth
> Adventures' (#5): On page 9 and again on page 15 we see a couple trying
> to sell a small dragon to a Deveel, the man in the bowler is Phil Foglio
> (at least that's the way he drew himself for the Star Trek convention re-
> ports).  My question is who is the woman and where is the dragon from?

It's from Phil & Dixie, a series that ran in the back of The Dragon
magazine... I don't know who dixie is or what the gremlinoid dragon
was (it acted like gremlins (as in the film) when exposed to water)
because I didn't really follow the strip.
--
-- Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
-- UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/30/85)

In article <2184@sdcrdcf.UUCP> markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) writes:

>Foglio has been doing a cartoon in the back of "Dragon" magazine where
>the main characters are the guy in the bowler hat, the girl and the little
>dragon.  Most of these cartoons are humorous spoofs of various aspects
>of role playing.  One of the standing jokes is that the next
>issue will contain a cartoon entitled "Sex and D&D" which is always
>postponed to the issue after that.
>
>Also the guy in the bowler shows up briefly in "D'arc Tangent".

Phil stopped doing "What's New" in DRAGON a coupla years back when the
MythAdventures/ D'Arc Tangent stuff started up (unfortunately - I always
liked it).

The appearance in DT is related to a strip in a fanzine Phil was involved
in back in his college days ('76-'78 timeframe), called "Effen Essef" :-).
The "guy in the bowler" was lost on a derelict spacecraft and trying to
dope things out.  Alas,, he & Freff came to a parting of the ways just
after #1 and are still arguing over whose characters are REALLY whose, etc.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.
Quote: "No matter where you go, there you are" - B. Banzai

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (08/05/85)

The man in the bowler with his female companion have appeared in many of the
things that Foglio has done, most notably his strip in the magazine _The
Dragon_.  I don't know if it is supposed to be a self charicature.  Foglio
is considerably larger (read fatter) than that in real life.  I've been told
that the small dragons that go "growf" keep showing up also.

					John R Blaker
					UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
					ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1
					and	blaker@FORD-WDL2