[net.comics] X-Men 199 and COIE 8

allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) (08/02/85)

A question about the first book.  Rachel discovers a "holemgraphic
matrix crystal" (if I remember the term correctly) which contains
the "essence" of the first Phoenix.  I haven't followed the series
real closely, but WHAT IS this funny "crystal ball"???  Has it been
mentioned before?  Who made it?

Now, COIE 8 (finally; it came out a little later than I was expecting
it to).  A few interesting touches:
  1) Darkseid was finally shown, and is still the master planner.
  2) A schism(!) in the Guardians, ending with interesting lines,
	 "...You must abide by the council's decision."  "Perhaps not...
	 Perhaps not!"
  3) Firehawk's costume got burned away and she has to take time
	 out to create another one.
Now, some comments/questions:
  1) "On the other-dimensional world of Apokolips..."  According to
	 the Legion/Darkseid series, Apokolips is in the Earth-1
	 universe.  Does it get moved in this series, or is it other-
	 dimensional compared to the setting of the previous panel
	 (which was in the Anti-Matter universe)?
  2) What is the Red Tornado's new structure for?  (More on this
	 below.)
  3) At first glance giving a length for the Anti-Matter universe on
	 page 14 might not make sense.  (Using the word "zillion" doesn't
	 help!)  However, it has been theorized (don't ask me what the current
	 status of the theory is) that our universe is finite but unbounded.
	 In that case, giving a length to a universe makes (more) sense, though
	 I can't see any use for the statement other than dramatic effect.
  4) It seems to me that the anti-matter cannon has been built awfully
	 quickly, unless the Anti-Monitor radioed instructions ahead.  It
	 would seem that it should take a long time to build because the A-M
	 doesn't make plans to rebuild it after it is destroyed (unless we
	 chalk it up to impatience).
  5) I like Flash's reaction the last time Psycho-Pirate tried to
	 influence him (possibly resigning himself to never returning to
	 a positive-matter universe?)
  6) Re: the anti-matter cannon: Of what significance is "anti-matter"
	 in an anti-matter universe??  Absolutely none.  However, when the
	 Flash refers to "concentrated anti-matter", PERHAPS he means that
	 this is anti-matter plasma or some such.  This raises the related
	 question: What happened when Flash, Psycho-Pirate, and everybody
	 else from the positive-matter universes went to the anti-matter
	 universe?  They certainly couldn't remain positive-matter, so
	 they must have been "converted" to anti-matter.
  7) I don't quite understand what happened to the Flash.  He says he's
	 moving back in time, but at the same time he appears to be aging
	 super-quickly.  Did the A-M open a hole to the positive-matter
	 universe, so that the Flash is dying of matter-antimatter interaction?
	 (But his costume wasn't affected.)
  8) Finally, the final page...the resolution of the series appears to be
	 something else.

Now, a conjecture on the ENTIRE DC Universe.  It appears that COIE is not
affecting ALL the existences that appear in DC magazines.  Mr. Mxyxptlk
(sp?), Earth-Prime, possibly others seem to be outside of the Earth-1, 2,
etc. multiverse.  But, the latter are separated by variations in internal
vibrations, whereas (traditionally) universes are separated by differences
in physical laws.  Perhaps that is the case here.  NOW, could it be that
the A-M realizes that these other universes exist and wants an agent who
can visit them, such as the Red Tornado??  Sounds interesting...

Finally, to close,...

					  R.I.P. Barry Allen, aka the Flash
--

                     Back on the freeway, which is already in progress,
		     Allen Grabert (...ittatc!bunker!allen)

gdave@ubvax.UUCP (Dave Guertin) (08/05/85)

In article <916@bunker.UUCP> allen@bunker.UUCP (C. Allen Grabert) writes:
>A question about the first book.  Rachel discovers a "holemgraphic
>matrix crystal" (if I remember the term correctly) which contains
>the "essence" of the first Phoenix.  I haven't followed the series
>real closely, but WHAT IS this funny "crystal ball"???  Has it been
>mentioned before?  Who made it?

Way back when when Phoenix was still believed to be Jean Grey she put part
of her essence or life force into this little crystal ball. If I remember
right it was supposed to be a gift to Scott.

It happened somewhere between XMEN 100-130. Sorry I don't remember which Issue.