[net.comics] Untimely Demises

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/09/85)

> From:	dartvax!mwm	(Mark Modrall)

> is anyone else here disappointed with the untimely demises of
> super-girl and the flash???

Yes and no. I'm sorry they had to go, but I thought that they were handled
well --- very nobly.

> i certainly was... first off, since when does superman, " the greatest
> hero of them all", not even get in a shot???  he spent his whole time
> on his back.... blah...

Well, he *was* taken by surprise by the Anti-Monitor, who is evidently as
powerful as Supes. Supergirl, on the other hand, saw the whole thing and
thus was prepared for her fight with the A-M.

> and then the fight itself with supergirl
> was pretty blase....

Humph. *I* thought it was *extremely* well done. Not at all blase'.

> and flash??? argh... good hero gets the shaft... he dies, and all he does
> is tick the monitor off... doesn't even hurt him... and nobody even knows
> he died.... what a waste....

True, I suppose, but those things happen. Some folks *do* wind up MIA. I
suppose that I may be somewhat biased in that I never was that fond of the
Flash as a character, but I felt it added a bit of realism to the story that
he die in a noble fashion without any else knowing what happened to him.

> oh, and the latest ff cop-out... marvel age builds up a big thing about
> 284 being invisible girls last issue, then she changes her name...
> whoop de do....

So who (besides Paul Simmington) was taken in by this? This sort of misdir-
ection is old hat in the comics biz.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA