[net.comics] Thor: Asgard or Earth?

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/17/85)

> From:	ihuxk!cd55611	(Chuck)

> I started buying Thor again when Simonson took over.  I like
> his scripts, the initially interesting twists he added to the book, and his
> occasional tongue-in-cheek godly humor.  His *style* of art also seems
> appropriate for the book, though he isn't in my top five favorite artists.
> The momentum of the book seems to be on the decline--it's hard to describe.
> Maybe the novelty is wearing off for me; maybe Walt's simply run out of his
> pet ideas for the book and hasn't developed anymore truly avant-garde
> directions to take next.  I'll bet Odin claws his way out Muspelheim (sp?)
> real soon and bails out the whole situation (again, yawn.....).

I partially agree. For a while, THOR was starting to get a tad dull. I think
you've hit it partially on the head in that the novelty of Simonson's work
on it is wearing off. It's still one of my favorites, though.
	And I'm not convinced that Odin is going to be coming back very soon.
Maybe much farther down the road. I can guarantee, though, that if Simonson
gives up THOR for something else, and Bill Mantlo or some other equivalent
hack gets his paws on it, Odin'll be back in a jiffy.

>      BRING THOR BACK TO MIDGARD*!!!  Give him a few super powerful,
> diabolical baddies to dispatch and make it interesting!  I realize many
> readers have refined their tastes ;-) beyond such petty conflicts, but
> frankly I'm tired of Asgard and the dopey doings of godlings!  Ho-HUM!!!

I say thee nay! Part of what I like about Simonson's work on THOR is the
mythological sword-and-sorcery fantasy feel of the stories. In the 20+
years that I've been reading the comic, I've always preferred the stories
taking place in Asgard or deep space to the ones set on Earth.
	Mostly it's the old chestnut of "what can you do with a basicly
omnipotent hero?" Like Moondragon said to him in THE AVENGERS way back when,
When Thor hangs around on Earth with his fellow super-heroes, he's slumming.
He's on a totally different level than the others. The only ones that are
in his strength class are Hercules, Hulk, and Wonder Man. And for power,
there ain't no one like him. Fer crissakes, Thor's even taken on Galactus
one on one and beat him! None of the standard super-villains are close to
being a match for Thor. At least in Asgard, he's in his own element.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA