[net.comics] Super-heroes and Earth-Prime

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/17/85)

> From:	kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.)

>> eat it too. Earth-Prime is supposed to be "our" universe, and there just
>> aren't any (nor *can* there be) any super-heroes in our universe. When I
>>
>> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)
>
>       Sorry, but around issue 154 of Justice League of America it was shown
> that Earth-Prime unfortunately can have super-heroes. Our first was a guy
> named Ultraa who was rocketed to Earth-Prime from a distant planet and was
> raised in the wilds of Australia.
> [...]
>       Anyway, Ultraa realized that Earth-Prime wasn't set up to handle the
> destruction generated by fights between super-powered people and decided to
> go to Earth-One with the JLA to live out his days in peace in Earth-One's
> Australia. This lasted about twenty issues and he showed up again.
>       So, Earth-Prime can have super-heroes (and villians) but I don't
> remember reading in the newspapers about the destruction caused to New York
> City by the battle mentioned above, except in the JLA comic. Did you people
> in New York decide to keep it to yourselves?

Yes, I realize that Earth-Prime *has* had super-beings in the past, but that
doesn't change my opiniion that it *shouldn't*. Actually, I'm going back on
what I said earlier about my not liking the Earth-Prime concept. It's not
that I don't like it, hell, even as a kid, I used to have the same fantasy ---
that the various fictional worlds we read about are actually other universes
that the writer somehow "taps into". This concept *as such* is not a problem.
I just don't like the way DC writers have been handling it. I don't mind so
much that there is travel between universes. If Superman travels to Earth-
Prime, that's cool, but what should happen is that his powers should vanish,
since they are against the laws of physics in *our* universe. If they aren't
against the physical laws of Earth-Prime, then Earth-Prime can't be *our*
universe.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (08/19/85)

> >> aren't any (nor *can* there be) any super-heroes in our universe. When I
>
> Yes, I realize that Earth-Prime *has* had super-beings in the past, but that
> doesn't change my opiniion that it *shouldn't*. Actually, I'm going back on
> what I said earlier about my not liking the Earth-Prime concept. It's not
> that I don't like it, hell, even as a kid, I used to have the same fantasy ---
> that the various fictional worlds we read about are actually other universes
> that the writer somehow "taps into". This concept *as such* is not a problem.
> I just don't like the way DC writers have been handling it. I don't mind so
> much that there is travel between universes. If Superman travels to Earth-
> Prime, that's cool, but what should happen is that his powers should vanish,
> since they are against the laws of physics in *our* universe. If they aren't
> against the physical laws of Earth-Prime, then Earth-Prime can't be *our*
> universe.
>
> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)
>
> UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
> ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

	First you say there can't be any superheroes on Earth-Prime and then
you say there shouldn't be, but I think that there can and it won't be
against the physical laws.
	In the second issue of Fantastic Films which came about about the
time of SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE, they had an article which explained how
Superman's powers worked. It was all nice and neat and would work in "OUR"
universe.
	I agree with you that Earth-Prime should not have superheroes and I
agree that most writers at DC handle the E-P idea badly, but there is no
reason why Superman should lose his powers on E-P unless it was the reason
that since he is a fictional character on E-P, he can't exist with reality.
	I like the Earth-Prime idea better than Marvel's idea that it exists
on the same planet with the heroes it writes its books about. Since most
heroes won't reveal their secret identities,  the parts in the comic books
which deal with this portion of the hero's life must be pretty dull.

						Kenneth Crist
						Computer Vision Lab
						University of Maryland

kwc@cvl.UUCP (Kenneth W. Crist Jr.) (08/20/85)

> 	In the second issue of Fantastic Films which came about about the
> time of SUPERMAN-THE MOVIE, they had an article which explained how
> Superman's powers worked. It was all nice and neat and would work in "OUR"
> universe.

	Is anyone interested in seeing this article posted on the net? I am
willing to post it if there is some interest in it.

						Kenneth Crist
						Computer Vision Lab
						University of Maryland