[net.comics] Who will rule Asgard?

dub@pur-phy.UUCP (Paul Simmington) (08/08/85)

	Since reading Thor #361 I have made some insights of
my own into who is going to rule Asgard.  Some characters have been
eliminated for various reasons listed below.
	The first candidate would be Beta Ray Bill, but he must
protect his race from attack, so he could be discounted.
	Odin could return, but wouldn't Thor have gone down
to Musspheheim if he "even suspected" Odin was still alive?
Therefore, we can eliminate Odin from the ruling of Asgard.
	Of course, his other son, the one who is part frost-
giant, is a possibility, but very unlikely.
	There is also Loki, but I imagine that all of Asgard
would not agree to that and not even his magical powers are
that strong!
	The obvious and logical choice would be Thor.  Of course,
it would constrain him to Asgard and he would seldom be able to
return to Earth.  It's rather odd as well that he's been injured
in the same region of the face (in his fight with Hela) that
Odin was injured.  It could be an omen of sorts.

			--Paul Simmington--

"I am death, the Destroyer of worlds!"

jasonw@dartvax.UUCP (Jason B. Wyatt) (08/11/85)

> 	The obvious and logical choice would be Thor.  Of course,
> it would constrain him to Asgard and he would seldom be able to
> return to Earth.  It's rather odd as well that he's been injured
> in the same region of the face (in his fight with Hela) that
> Odin was injured.  It could be an omen of sorts.
>
> 			--Paul Simmington--

gee,
   if thor does rule asgard, do you think we'll   have about 20 or 30 issues
of "King Thor"?  He could have his wife(whoever she turns out to be) kidnapped
every other issue, and he'd have to go find her, and asgard could be captured
by hostile forces while he's out so he'd have to sneak in with his
love interest/kitty cat (he'd leave the magnum at home),
or he could have his son decide to tutor under an evil sorceress and go get him!!

but then again, with our luck either Frigga will talke over, or Frigga will take
over after about 10 issues and give it to Loki after another 20.

                                        aah well...

    "if it just dosen't matter,
     it just dosen't matter."

                                                    -jason
Or the beyonder could step in and...
won't that be fun?

                                      (that is if the beyonder dosen't bring
odin back and ruin everything...)

cd55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Chuck Dobrovolny) (08/13/85)

>> 	The obvious and logical choice would be Thor.  Of course,
>> it would constrain him to Asgard and he would seldom be able to
>> return to Earth.  It's rather odd as well that he's been injured
>> in the same region of the face (in his fight with Hela) that
>> Odin was injured.  It could be an omen of sorts.
>>
>> 			--Paul Simmington--
>>

>gee,
>   if thor does rule asgard, do you think we'll   have about 20 or 30 issues
>of "King Thor"?  He could have his wife(whoever she turns out to be) kidnapped
>every other issue, and he'd have to go find her, and asgard could be captured
>by hostile forces while he's out so he'd have to sneak in with his
>love interest/kitty cat (he'd leave the magnum at home),
>or he could have his son decide to tutor under an evil sorceress and go get him>!!
>
>but then again, with our luck either Frigga will talke over, or Frigga will
> take
>over after about 10 issues and give it to Loki after another 20.
>

>                                        aah well...
>

>    "if it just dosen't matter,
>     it just dosen't matter."
>

>                                                    -jason
>Or the beyonder could step in and...
>won't that be fun?
>

>                                      (that is if the beyonder dosen't bring
>odin back and ruin everything...)

(...yawn...)
     Things could get pretty dull in the old Golden Realm if Thor ends up
ruling Asgard!  I started buying Thor again when Simonson took over.  I like
his scripts, the initially interesting twists he added to the book, and his
occasional tongue-in-cheek godly humor.  His *style* of art also seems
appropriate for the book, though he isn't in my top five favorite artists.
The momentum of the book seems to be on the decline--it's hard to describe.
Maybe the novelty is wearing off for me; maybe Walt's simply run out of his
pet ideas for the book and hasn't developed anymore truly avant-garde
directions to take next.  I'll bet Odin claws his way out Muspelheim (sp?)
real soon and bails out the whole situation (again, yawn.....).
     BRING THOR BACK TO MIDGARD*!!!  Give him a few super powerful,
diabolical baddies to dispatch and make it interesting!  I realize many
readers have refined their tastes ;-) beyond such petty conflicts, but
frankly I'm tired of Asgard and the dopey doings of godlings!  Ho-HUM!!!

What say the net??

                                                    Chuck

*earth

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (08/16/85)

> > 	The obvious and logical choice would be Thor.  Of course,
> > it would constrain him to Asgard and he would seldom be able to
> > return to Earth.  It's rather odd as well that he's been injured
> > in the same region of the face (in his fight with Hela) that
> > Odin was injured.  It could be an omen of sorts.
> >
> > 			--Paul Simmington--
> >

> (that is if the beyonder dosen't bring odin back and ruin everything...)
>                                                     -jason

	Thor is a Marvel comic, right?  And Marvel is the Golly-we-
love-all-our-characters-so-much-that-they-can-never-stay-changed-and-
especially-never-stay-dead comic book company, right?  So who cares
who succeeds Odin, he'll be back.

	Cases in point: Iron Man was not Stark for about 15 issues
and Bruce Banner was 'dead' for 12 issues.  I suspect that Odin is
hanging out with his pop just to see how Asgard will fare in a suc-
cession.  He'll be back within 20 issues.

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/17/85)

> From:	Pucc-H:pur-phy!dub	(Paul Simmington)

>	Since reading Thor #361 I have made some insights of
> my own into who is going to rule Asgard.  Some characters have been
> eliminated for various reasons listed below.
>	The first candidate would be Beta Ray Bill, but he must
> protect his race from attack, so he could be discounted.
>	Odin could return, but wouldn't Thor have gone down
> to Musspheheim if he "even suspected" Odin was still alive?
> Therefore, we can eliminate Odin from the ruling of Asgard.
>	Of course, his other son, the one who is part frost-
> giant, is a possibility, but very unlikely.
>	There is also Loki, but I imagine that all of Asgard
> would not agree to that and not even his magical powers are
> that strong!
>	The obvious and logical choice would be Thor.  Of course,
> it would constrain him to Asgard and he would seldom be able to
> return to Earth.  It's rather odd as well that he's been injured
> in the same region of the face (in his fight with Hela) that
> Odin was injured.  It could be an omen of sorts.

I'm surprised that no one seems to have thought of the obvious. OK, just
to keep the suspense, I'll eliminate the other members of the THOR cast.

Heimdall, Hogun, Fandral, Volstagg are all out --- they just aren't
politically important in Asgard.

Beta Ray Bill is out, for reasons that Paul mentioned above.

Frigga is out. Regardless of the respect everyone holds for her as the
consort of Odin, and their acceptance of her as regent for the nonce,
the society is too macho to accept a woman ruler.

Loki is out, for the reason Paul mentioned. Of course, he could end up
reforming, but that's highly unlikely.

Thor is the logical choice, of course, but he's out too. He wouldn't be
able to stand just sitting around in the high seat passing judgements when
he wants to go out and kick some ass. The book would be really dull if he
takes the job.

Odin could crawl back out of Muspulheim, but I doubt it. Simonson wouldn't
pull that so soon. Even if he did at some later point, he'd likely just
slink off in retirement, not letting anyone know he was back. Maybe he'd
end up as Tiwaz's roomie.

Tiwaz is a good possibility, but he seems to be content to live out his life
as a hermit. Not likely.

Thor's older half-brother (can't recall his name --- Vidar?) is also a good
possibility. He seems to like the recluse life, too, but we don't really know
enough about him to say one way or another for sure. Someone to keep in mind.

Sif is a possibility, though not likely, for the same reasons as Frigga. On
the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Simonson to pull a fast one like this.

Who does that leave? Balder, that's who. Look, after Odin and Thor, Balder is
the most loved, trusted, and respected god in Asgard. He's also the best
warrior (after Odin and Thor). And is it mere coincidence that his mini-series
will parallel the THOR continuity, leading up to the election of the new
ruler of Asgard? Coincidence, hell! It's all a set-up to make Balder a shoo-in
for All-Father. I'll predict that at the upcoming God Party Convention, Thor
nominates Balder, and Balder wins by a landslide. Then of course, Loki will
get pissed because he feels that he is the rightful heir, and he'll become
even nastier than he already is.

Comments? Nay-sayings?

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/23/85)

I thought this may be of interest...

From:	XENON::BURROWS      "Jim Burrows" 22-AUG-1985 09:20
To:	AKOV68::BOYAJIAN,BURROWS
Subj:	Balder

If you look into the Eddas you will find that their "history" of the Asa-gods
doesn't end at Ragnarok. Some Aesir and Vanir survive, as do two humans who
start the world over. There is a new pantheon of gods and guess who is the top
god... Balder.

[Jack Kirby must have known this. In "The Pact", he mentioned that New Genesis
and Apokolips were descended from Balduur [sic] and a sorceress (Karnilla?)
after the war that destroyed the Old Gods. --- jmb]

Given that Simonson is pretty knowledgeable of his sources, the only real
choices he has for rulers of Asgard are Balder who rules after Ragnarok, Thor
who was the chief god before Odin (Before in our time-frame, people believed
he was the chief god before they believed Odin was. Once they started to regard
Odin as head man, he always had been.) and Tyr who also had been. Tyr, of
course is the same person as Tiwaz, so Tiwaz is also possible. They really
shouldn't coexist though. Of all of these, I agree that Balder is the most
likely.

[Net.comics readers note: Tyr & Tiwaz are the same in the original myths. In
the Marvel pantheon, they are separate gods. --- jmb]

Feel free to quote or post this. I seem to have gotten out of the habit
of contributing to net.anything.

JimB.

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (08/24/85)

> Given that Simonson is pretty knowledgeable of his sources, the only real
> choices he has for rulers of Asgard are Balder who rules after Ragnarok, Thor
> who was the chief god before Odin (Before in our time-frame, people believed
> he was the chief god before they believed Odin was. Once they started to regard
> Odin as head man, he always had been.) and Tyr who also had been. Tyr, of
> course is the same person as Tiwaz, so Tiwaz is also possible. They really
> shouldn't coexist though. Of all of these, I agree that Balder is the most
> likely.

Well, some of the Norse sources speak of Vidar as surviving
Ragnarok...
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!groucho!ccrrick)