[net.comics] Exceptional video

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/12/85)

Has anyone seen the video with the incredible pencil animation? I caught the
end of it one day & want to know what to look out for (I'm not a regular MTV
fan, just an animation fan).

The bit I saw started off with a couple (drawn in pencil) being chased down
a corridoor by a couple of thugs with a monkey wrench, she dives through a
hole & lands behind a counter in a coffee shop, and he gets hit on the head.
She grabs up a comic book & runs home, and in the comic book (a very sketchy
looking product) is the guy she was with earlier, lying on the ground.

WHat's the video called, what's the group, and who did the animation?
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

kmo@ptsfa.UUCP (ken olsen) (08/15/85)

In article <337@baylor.UUCP> peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Has anyone seen the video with the incredible pencil animation? I caught the
>end of it one day & want to know what to look out for (I'm not a regular MTV
>fan, just an animation fan).
> [etc . .]
>
>WHat's the video called, what's the group, and who did the animation?
>--
>   Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)
>       UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter
>       MCI: PDASILVA; CIS: 70216,1076

I am also an animation fan, and I have seen it only once.  It's by
a group called 'a-ha'; I don't remember the name of the song or the
album, and I have no idea who did the animation.

It does, however, have some great real-life <=> pencil-sketch-animation
transition sequences.  I want to see it again, but I don't watch MTV enough.

------------
| gait kpr |     { dual, ihnp4, qantel }!ptsfa!kmo
------------
"Like olympic medals and tennis trophies, all they signified was that the owner
 had done something of no benefit to anyone more capably than everyone else."

devils1@hou2g.UUCP (D.DARBY) (08/15/85)

Peter,
	I have part of the answer to your question.  The group who
	made the video is called "Ah-ha", but unfortunately I do
	not know who did the animation.

	From what I have heard from reliable sources, the album is
	quite good.

owen@rtp47.UUCP (Karl M. Owen) (08/16/85)

>Has anyone seen the video with the incredible pencil animation?
>
>The bit I saw started off with a couple (drawn in pencil) being chased down
>a corridoor by a couple of thugs with a monkey wrench, [ ]
>
>WHat's the video called, what's the group, and who did the animation?
>--
>	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)

	The song (I'm listening to it now) is "Take On Me", the group is Aha,
but I can't tell you who animated it.  It was, however, discussed on a recent
Friday Night Videos segment on high tech videos.

						Karl

--

				Karl M. Owen
				Data General, RTP, NC

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (08/17/85)

> From:	baylor!peter	(Peter da Silva)

> Has anyone seen the video with the incredible pencil animation? I caught the
> end of it one day & want to know what to look out for (I'm not a regular MTV
> fan, just an animation fan).
>
> [...]
>
> WHat's the video called, what's the group, and who did the animation?

The group is named a-Ha (seriously!), the song is called "Take On Me". I
don't know the name of the animator, but I've heard from one source that
he's an anatomical artist. As is obvious, the animation is rotoscope.
Still is damn impressive. One of the best videos to come along in a while.
I especially liked the ALTERED STATES ending.

Another really well done video to look out for is one by John Fogerty. I
don't recall the name of the song, as I've only seen the video once, and
don't have the album it comes from (CENTERFIELD). Anyways, it's about a
pick-pocketing pig (I kid you not!). The video is done entirely in clay-
mation by Will Vinton. It's absolutely astonishing!

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/19/85)

> 	The song (I'm listening to it now) is "Take On Me", the group is Aha,
> but I can't tell you who animated it.  It was, however, discussed on a recent
> Friday Night Videos segment on high tech videos.

High-tech? Looked pretty low-tech to me (which was a large part of its
attraction... someone actually DREW all those cels!).
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)

lee@chinet.UUCP (Lee Morehead) (08/22/85)

In article <1018@hou2h.UUCP> hhs@hou2h.UUCP (H.SHARP) writes:
>I recently went to a movie and the movie house played this video
>before the movie started.  It was labelled a "ZAP" release and seems
>to be one of a series of videos to be released to be played before
>movies (sort of like cartoons back in the old days).  It looked
>even better on the big screen than on TV.

I recently posted this to net.music alone and didn't cross post it
deliberately. However, there seems to be more activity on this
subject in net.comics than where it belongs in my opinion. so here
goes:

In article <145@rtp47.UUCP> Karl M. Owen writes:
>Has anyone seen the video with the incredible pencil animation?
>
>The bit I saw started off with a couple (drawn in pencil) being chased down
>a corridoor by a couple of thugs with a monkey wrench, [ ]
>
>WHat's the video called, what's the group, and who did the animation?
>--
>	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian)

     The English group A-ha's video of "Take on Me" was directed by
Steve Barron and Produced by Simon Fields. This team won an American
Video Award a couple of years ago for the Rod Stewart video of "Young
Turks."
     There are obviously line drawings in it and probably some animation
is present but the primary technique used in the video is an old effect
called "rotoscoping." The effect is generated by using the picture of
live actors and tracing them to give the effect of animation. I think
they did an excellent job and I enjoy the video.

--

					Lee Morehead
					...!ihnp4!chinet!lee

"NO one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

bothner@Navajo.ARPA (08/24/85)

>      The English group A-ha's video of "Take on Me" was directed by
> Steve Barron and Produced by Simon Fields.
> 		Lee Morehead		...!ihnp4!chinet!lee

The group "A-ha" is NORWEGIAN; at least the Norwegian papers
this summer were treating it as such.
	--Per Bothner
Bothner@su-score.arpa	...!{decwrl,ucbvax}!glacier!navajo!bothner

hal@aesat.UUCP (Hal Patnaik) (08/26/85)

Actually, A-HA is not an English group, but Norweigan. (sp?)  They were
unknowns until they arrived in England, learned english, and created
their first really well distributed album (Hunting High and Low.. "Take
on Me" is the first single released from that album..)

* "I don't mean to start any Blasphemous Rumors,		      *
*  but I think that God's got a sick sense of humour,		      *
*  and when I die I think that he'll be laughing."		      *
*					           - Depeche Mode     *

Hal Patnaik
{allegra, ihnp4, linus, decvax}!utzoo!aesat!hal

AES DATA, Inc.		The opinions expressed above are strictly my
1900 Minnesota Crt.	own and do not represent those of my employer.
Mississauga, Ont.

rubin@mtuxn.UUCP (M.RUBIN) (08/26/85)

I saw it as a short in a movie theater last weekend (before "Real Genius").
The title, I think, was "Music Zap!".  The group was called "A-HA".
Best animation<->live-action transitions since the "Betty Boop" era,
and utterly amazin' generally....

boston@celerity.UUCP (Boston Office) (08/27/85)

In article <3718@decwrl.UUCP> boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) writes:
>Another really well done video to look out for is one by John Fogerty. I
>don't recall the name of the song, as I've only seen the video once, and
>don't have the album it comes from (CENTERFIELD). Anyways, it's about a
>pick-pocketing pig (I kid you not!). The video is done entirely in clay-
>mation by Will Vinton. It's absolutely astonishing!

It's called "Vanz Kant Danz" (Pronounced "Vance Can't Dance"), and it's
pretty brilliant.

...Roger B.A. Klorese
...Celerity Computing

ihnp4!sdcsvax!celerity!celmktg1!celtics!roger