[net.comics] Publications about comics

hsut@pur-ee.UUCP (Yuk Hsu) (08/30/85)

	Has anyone been getting SPEAKEASY, a British (I think) magazine
on comics? I usually don't get publications about comic books, but since
this one was cheap (35p/70 cents) and had articles on Dean Mullaney
(of Eclipse Comics) and Miracleman, I decided to pick it up.

	The format is not terribly attractive: it looks like a fanzine
with typewritten text and black and white xeroxed artwork. The issue
I got was #52, I think (anyway, it's the one with Miracleman on the cover.)
There are two fairly long informative articles. The first covers
some publishing history of Miracleman (originally Marvelman) and the
difficulties in getting it to the US. The second article is an interview
with Dean Mullaney where he gives interesting insight on the independent
comics business and Eclipse in particular. There are also sections on
future comic books (a little out-of-date) and news on both US and British
comic publishers. In summary, an intelligent, informative publication,
one I'll probably be picking up again.

	Speaking of Eclipse, I was surprised they were not part of the
group that put together New Age Comics. Maybe they figured they were
big enough that their own pamphlet would suffice. If nothing else,
New Age Comics provided a list of weird titles for my next batch
of mail orders...

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (09/05/85)

> From:	pur-ee!hsut	(Bill Hsu)

> 	Has anyone been getting SPEAKEASY, a British (I think) magazine
> on comics? I usually don't get publications about comic books, but since
> this one was cheap (35p/70 cents) and had articles on Dean Mullaney
> (of Eclipse Comics) and Miracleman, I decided to pick it up.

No, I've never tried SPEAKEASY, because none of the shops in my area have
carried it (to my knowledge). I do get both THE COMICS JOURNAL and AMAZING
HEROES, though. I had stopped getting TCJ for a while, but I found that I
missed the bile and venom. I also get hand-me-down copies of THE COMICS
BUYER'S GUIDE.
	I also get MARVEL AGE, but don't ask me why. It's good for a laugh
once in a while, though, especially during the long wait between issues of
MYTH ADVENTURES and STIG'S INFERNO (and GROO THE WANDERER isn't quite enough).

> 	Speaking of Eclipse, I was surprised they were not part of the
> group that put together New Age Comics. Maybe they figured they were
> big enough that their own pamphlet would suffice. If nothing else,
> New Age Comics provided a list of weird titles for my next batch
> of mail orders...

Good for you. If NEW AGE COMICS has spurred your interest in trying some new
independents, then it's served its purpose. Eclipse *was* going to be a part
of the New Age consortium, but they pulled out at the almost-last minute.
They gave as their reason the belief that Fantagraphics (who publishes NEW
AGE COMICS) would not be disinterested enough a party, or something like that.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA