[net.comics] Laurie's goodies

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (09/07/84)

> Laurie
>
> Zot:	Proof that a comic book does not have to be drawn in a realistic
>	manner to be serious.  A fairly chilling assasination scene at the
>	end.  I think we have a revolution stirring in the Sirius system.
>	Who caught Zippy the Pinhead in this one?

I didn't catch Zippy, but I did notice Fred Flintstone.

> X-Men
> annual: Well, the 'golden laundry pen' award goes to Steve Leihaloa (whatever,
>	  I don't have a copy with me) for some really terrible artwork.

Gee, nobody seems to like Leialoha's artwork. An aquaintance of mine thought
Leialoha's art in DR. STRANGE #67 was terrible, too. I rather liked his art, in
both that DR. STRANGE *and* THE X-MEN ANNUAL #8. It's not top-of-the-line, I
admit, but I liked it more than JRJr's art in the regular X-MEN book.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (09/05/85)

> From: Laurie Sefton c/o Chuqui

> X-Men #200 (B-/C+):  There are some very good points in this issue, and
> some very *bad* points.  Whoever designed Magneto's costume should be taken
> out and... well, have a few thousand copies of Vogue dumped on his head?
> The costume looks fairly slimy, and that big M in the fronts doesn't do
> anything for it.

I agree. I hope he gets yet another new costume *fast*.

> Heroes for Hope/X-Men #1 (C):  [...]
> Also, anyone care to tell me who Gray Morrow is, and
> where has he been hiding?  I'm impressed.

Eh? You never heard of Gray Morrow before? I'm astounded. He's been around
for quite some time. He's done assorted comics for just about everyone over
the last few decades. He did a three-issue mini-series for Pacific Comics a
few years back called EDGE OF CHAOS. He also drew an issue of DC COMICS PRE-
SENTS last year, guest-starring Madame Xanadu. I believe he also drew the
comics adaptation of the SUPERGIRL movie. Outside of comics, he's done a
mess of paperback covers, including most of the Perry Rhodan books.
	As far as I'm concerned, when Morrow is good, he's *very* good. Unfor-
tunately, most of the time, I find him mediocre.

> X-Men/Alpha Flight #1 (D+/C-):  [...] Which brings us to
> another point--Rachel-- she has been through some of the nastier
> experiences one would have to go through in the last 10-15 years or so, and
> still Xavier treats her like she was barely a recruit.  You didn't see him
> taking Jean Grey to task like that.

True, but then Jean never flew off the handle like Rachel did until she
became Dark Phoenix.

> You also wonder why someone didn't
> notice that the "fully realized" humans were all wearing pseudo-asgardian
> wear.

Who's to say that no one did? Besides, none of the X-Men nor Alphans partic-
ipated in the fight against Surtur's demons in New York (except for Storm,
but she's not in this comic), and they never really had any truck with the
Asgardians before, so they might not have recognized the latest Aesir fashions
anyway. Sure, they've seen Thor around, and the Enchantress, but they might
not have been able to extrapolate from that.

> Infinity Inc #20 (B): [...] A nice bit with Nuklon getting
> his X-rays--he's wearing just about the same he would wear at the beach,
> but since he is in a situation where he doesn't expect a woman to come in,
> he gets embarrased.  Anyway, DC hasn't gotten around to having naked people
> in the comics, so that explanation will have to do.

What's naked got to do with it. I've had x-rays taken a few times, and never
had to strip to the buff for 'em. And it's not true that DC hasn't had any
naked people in their comics. Remember Wonder Woman's "autopsy" in II #5 (or
thereabouts)? Or the topless Thia (or whoever it was) in TEEN TITANS during
the Olympus storyline? Unless, of course, you mean fully (or mostly) exposed.
But then, very few non-undergrounds have shown much in this respect. The only
ones I can think of off hand are JON SABLE and SABRE.

> Shadow of the Batman #1 (C): These are the *classics*?  I must be getting
> old....

It depends on how you define "classics", I suppose. It'll be nice to have
the Englehart/Rogers stuff all in one place, anyway.

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (09/05/85)

Just for completeness sake, Gray Morrow also did a run of
Zatanna back-up stories some years ago--I think in Adventure
Comics--(Jerry?).  This was my first exposure to his work.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with Jerry's assessment, for
the most part.  Nothing negative, he just never impressed me much.
But hey, he's at least better than Von Eden, eh Laurie?

He is also currently (and for the past year, at least) doing
the art for the Tarzan newspaper strip--this may only be a
Sunday comic, I'm not sure.  Come to think of it, I recall seeing
the same strip done by Mike Grell a few years back...hmm...

			Somewhere on the five Earths,

			Scott J. Berry