[net.comics] comments, psuedo-reviews 'n' stuff

cd55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Chuck Dobrovolny) (09/07/85)

<-->

Gosh!  There are so many good postings to comment on or reply to--but
it's hard to do without a speadsheet of previous articles!

**Speaking of Dreadstar, Henry, where the heck is it?  It seems like
Dreadstar, Dalgoda, and Aztec Ace have gone quarterly these days!

Hmmm.  It looks like the teams for the Hulk and Alpha Flight have switched
books.  If nothing else, this gives me a good excuse to stop buying Alpha
Flight.  Mignola and Talaoc's (sp?) art is alright, I guess, but Mantlo
has REALLY been disappointing lately.  Take, for example, Cloak & Dagger--
I thought the mini-series and their guest appearances in Peter Parker were
very entertaining but the new bi-monthly book has so far been lack-luster.
Maybe the novelty has worn off.
HERE'S an idea....make C & D a non-code book (or is it already?) and stop
pulling punches with all those nasty old drug dealers.  I don't mean to
glorify violence, but it's getting tedious listening to Dagger pleading
with Cloak to spare the vermin the "soul-numbing cold" of his nether-
region (uh, that's his *cape* folks!).  Oh well, more MARVELous mediocrity
from the "house of ideas."

**Speaking of beating a dead horse--I hope Mark Leeper doesn't develop a
complex courtesy of chuq's insightful followup.  Really!  Such chiding
should at least be done via personal reply and not paraded before the net!
At least Jeff's and Jerry's comments were constructive and not abusive.

**So....was there a rush for Miracleman in anybody else's neighborhood?
My regular dealer was handing out one to a customer something like: "Psst,
hey buddy, wanna buy a copy of Miracleman?  I saved one just for you."
You'd think he was selling acid or something!  I DID enjoy reading it--
it was kind of like reading a golden age pulp book written and drawn with
contemporary style.  One question:  was the initial story also done by
Moore and Leach?  I didn't see any other credits and it seemed distinctly
different....  I'll definitely be buying this one!

**I 'spose that everyone has heard by now that Tim Truman is leaving
Grimjack and Tom Sutton (?) will be taking over art chores. (did I hear
that on the net?)  For my part it'll be tough to remain faithful to the
title even though most of the characterization in the book is John
Ostrander's work.  Sutton's work on Star Trek doesn't impress me and I
really buy *that* book for Mike Barr's frequently faithful reditions of
the characters and old flavor of the TV show.  I thought the annual was
very good--it was like watching a lost episode or something, and the art
was much more accurate than Sutton's stuff.

**Was anyone else moved by the story in Timespirits 5 & 6?  Although I
found 5 to be the better of the two, I liked the story as a whole.  If,
previously, someone had run the idea of Jimi Hendrix as a comic book
supporting character past me, I would've scoffed.  Here it was pretty well
done not to mention a good artistic rendition.

**Someone else mentioned the latest Shatter recently--I think it was
Henry--I think it's very good!  It's really improved (coincidentally
with improvements in the MacIntosh) since it's conception.  Not only is
the art impressive for being computer-generated but the story is
interesting.  I like it!  (hey, Mikey.....)

That's it for now--hope I stirred up something thought-provoking!

                                          "I'm not the invisible girl
                                           anymore.  I'm the invisible
                                           WOMAN!"

                               (chortle...)  Chuck Dobrovolny

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (09/11/85)

In article <1013@ihuxk.UUCP> cd55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Chuck Dobrovolny) writes:
>**So....was there a rush for Miracleman in anybody else's neighborhood?

I'm going into my dealer Saturday, praying fervently... (Hell, I put three
of his kids through college!  When I walk in, other patrons head for the
check-out stand with dispatch, as they don't want to be caught behind me.
Sheesh!  I don't get no respect...).

>**I 'spose that everyone has heard by now that Tim Truman is leaving
>Grimjack and Tom Sutton (?) will be taking over art chores. (did I hear
>that on the net?)

Does this mean Sutton will be leaving the Trek book?  My general wish is
that he doesn't, as I'm afraid they'll put somebody much worse in there.  He
isn't bad in closeups, but his wide shots tend to be sketchy, and machinary
(including the Enterprise (whoops, Excelsior)) tend to be crude.

>**Was anyone else moved by the story in Timespirits 5 & 6?  Although I
>found 5 to be the better of the two, I liked the story as a whole.  If,
>previously, someone had run the idea of Jimi Hendrix as a comic book
>supporting character past me, I would've scoffed.  Here it was pretty well
>done not to mention a good artistic rendition.

Your right, Yeates is very good (though his old Swamp Things are also very
good); and these stories are extremely entertaining.

>**Someone else mentioned the latest Shatter recently--I think it was
>Henry--I think it's very good!  It's really improved (coincidentally
>with improvements in the MacIntosh) since it's conception.  Not only is
>the art impressive for being computer-generated but the story is
>interesting.  I like it!  (hey, Mikey.....)

Well, I'm not sure I'd go that far; I am pleased to see that he's no longer
digitizing all the figures and then putting them into the comic (shades of
Foometti).  Don't you find the personalities of the characters rather
lifeless?  Maybe it's just the geometric nature of the art, but I find them
pretty cold.  Give me Maggie and Hopey any day...

                "WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF AN ALIEN ATTACK:

                    ONE)   Hide beneath the seat of your plane and look away.
                    TWO)   Avoid eye contact.
                    THREE) If there are no eyes, avoid all contact."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb1, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty