[net.comics] Lantern, Lantern, Who's Got the Lantern?

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (09/09/85)

Is anybody else on the net psyched about the way Green Lantern
has been handled lately? I think the book has improved vastly
since Englehart and Staton have taken over.

Granted, it looks like this will go the way of Iron Man, and
have Hal Jordan get back his ring and space sector (even down
to the same issue number, 200!), but I find the "triangle" of
Hal, John Stewart, and Guy Gardner very intriguing.  I was especially
taken with Gardner's uniform--one of the few costume "changes" I've
actually liked in recent years. (By the way, I agree Magneto's
new costume sucks Morlock water; did you notice, though, in the
latest NM how it seemed toned down, especially the "M"?)

I suspect Hal will get his "job" back, Stewert will be assigned
a different space sector (husband and wife GLs with a shared
sector?  Nah, the Guardians are too stuffed shirt for that.)
It's hard to speculate about Gardner--I think he'll either perish
against the Anti-Monitor or become a renegade (if you don't already
consider him one).  I see now why DC is having so much fun with CRISIS.

Of course, Wolfman could throw us a real curve with this.
After CRISIS #9, and GL #195, my first guess is that the Guardians
themselves will all "buy the battery"; my only reservation about
this is the appearances of/references to the Guardians in the 30th
Century.  Perhaps only the "passive" Guardians will cease to exist.
It remains to be seen how history, as the Legion knows it, will be
affected by the Crisis.

I've never been much of a Staton fan, but I have no major complaints
in the art department.  Boy, would I love to see Alan Davis on this
book, though--maybe after reprints begin in BATO?...

It must seem I'm a real Green Maniac; actually, along with the Flash
(R.I.P.) GL HAS been a consistent favorite of mine among the Silver
Age heroes.  The book has had plenty of ups and downs over the past 10
years; I suppose that's better that the Flash, which has had only downs.
I hope this is a "new age" for GL, and that Englehart continues the
good work.

Before I sign off, let me be the first to nominate GL #195 for cover
of the year!  Simple and basic, yet visually stunning.  Of course, it
helps when a book is mostly composed of your favorite color...

			Scott J. Berry (Essjaybee?)
			pick_a_site.!any_site!ihnp4!hou2g!scott

gdave@ubvax.UUCP (Dave Guertin) (09/11/85)

	Unless Crises changes things Hal Jordan will be the last Earth
	Green Lantern according to several issues of LSH. Also I remeber
	reading somewhere that there would be two Green Lanterns and two
	groups of Guardians in the near future, for out time era.

	If you read GL #195 closely you can see the last statement above
	forming by the Guardian that made Guy a Lantern telling him that
	there were two differing views among the Guardians as to how the
	GL Corps should be run.

		Forever Stuck on Earth-UB, Dave Guertin

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (09/16/85)

In article <613@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) writes:
>Is anybody else on the net psyched about the way Green Lantern
>has been handled lately? I think the book has improved vastly
>since Englehart and Staton have taken over.

Absolutely.  In fact, it surprises me that Wein, the previous author, was
doing so little good work on it.

>I suspect Hal will get his "job" back, Stewert will be assigned
>a different space sector (husband and wife GLs with a shared
>sector?  Nah, the Guardians are too stuffed shirt for that.)
>It's hard to speculate about Gardner--I think he'll either perish
>against the Anti-Monitor or become a renegade (if you don't already
>consider him one).  I see now why DC is having so much fun with CRISIS.

Actually, the way Stewart and Katma have been handled, I'd prefer STEWART as
the title's main character.  Now, as to Guardians, this could make a lovely
split -- The Stop Evil Through Intervention (my favs, with Katma Tui,
Stewart, and Hal (perhaps as an officer?), and The Stop Evil Through
Prevention (Gardner and -- Sinestro!  Hey, if the end justifies the
means...).  And I HOPE they keep Katma and Stewart together...

Wait, it comes to me now!  Hal (and possibly a few others) serve under a
THIRD Guardian-based group, set up by that wandering Outcast Guardian from
the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil issues (who pops up in all of Elliot S! Maggin's
stories).  Agreed, Crisis is a *kick*!  Perhaps a news summary should be
posted for net.comics when it's finished (my comics collection (all 15,000
keeper issues) is sorted and boxed -- soon I'll be starting my Blast From
The Past retrospective series...)).

                "WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF AN ALIEN ATTACK:

                    ONE)   Hide beneath the seat of your plane and look away.
                    TWO)   Avoid eye contact.
                    THREE) If there are no eyes, avoid all contact."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (09/20/85)

Personally, I like the Earth-2 Green Lantern (Alan Scott?) and  I hope
DC keeps him around.  Also he should make an appearance in the current
GL series in order to make a  total mishmash.  I  am disappointed that
he is  not playing  a bigger  part  in Crisis.   His   lantern  is not
dependent on the Guardians  and in fact as the  Guardians are weakened
his green power should perhaps increase.