[net.comics] Lantern, Lantern...

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (09/27/85)

> From:	hou2g!scott	(Scott Berry)

> Of course, Wolfman could throw us a real curve with this.
> After CRISIS #9, and GL #195, my first guess is that the Guardians
> themselves will all "buy the battery"; my only reservation about
> this is the appearances of/references to the Guardians in the 30th
> Century.  Perhaps only the "passive" Guardians will cease to exist.
> It remains to be seen how history, as the Legion knows it, will be
> affected by the Crisis.

Well, it seems to me that one of the effects of CRISIS is that any writer
can basicly ignore anything written before CRISIS. So, if the Guardians
kick the battery in CRISIS, those references in LSH #295 (or whichever it
was) go the way of the dodo.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) (09/30/85)

[...]

From the stuff that is going on in the real Green Lantern book (as
opposed to Crisis), it seems obvious that the "active" Oans are actually
flakes and the "passive" ones are the good guys.  The active Oans gave
a power ring to Guy Gardner (one of the black sheep of our family) who
immediately did several stupid and dangerous things that no good Guy
would ever tolerate.  One must conclude that the active Oans chose
Gardner precisely because he was close to the quality needed for Green
Lantern-hood, but is ruthless and unquestioning enough to be used as a
pawn.

My theory is reinforced by the fact that Hal Jordan is buddy-buddy
with the passive Guardians, and he wants his ring back, and it's issue
#196.  It would surprise me greatly if #200 or the end of Crisis or
something didn't see the active Oans wiped out as the passive Oans either
regained supremacy or "became one with the universe" while leaving behind
something that would keep the Green Lantern Corps going.  Perhaps Hal Jordan
will be made some kind of Corps Commander when the Oans bow out, leaving
John Stewart as Earth's lantern.

Anyway, it's obvious to me that the "active" Oans are merely following in
the footsteps of the guy who started the whole mess (an Oan whose name
begins with K...I forget it at the moment).  He rejected the wisdom of the
other Guardians and split the universe into the multiverse.  The other
Oans are doing much the same thing, and we can expect similarly dire
consequences.

				Jim Gardner, University of Waterloo

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (10/01/85)

In article <16638@watmath.UUCP> jagardner@watmath.UUCP (Jim Gardner) writes:
>From the stuff that is going on in the real Green Lantern book (as
>opposed to Crisis), it seems obvious that the "active" Oans are actually
>flakes and the "passive" ones are the good guys.

Agh!  A flakey Guardian!  The images that phrase brings to mind -- a little
blue man dressed in sandels, wearing a white goatee, a Parisian cap, a
artists smock, checkered slacks and dark glasses, and complaining about how
no one ever takes what he says seriously...

Sorry, I'm babbling again...

                        "Simple, candid, crazed and madcap
                         (quintessentially retarded) our hero fights an
                         with a PLUCK and SPIRIT that is totally American
                         to the core!!"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty