[net.comics] Comments on Moriarty Reviews

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (06/13/85)

> From:	fluke!moriarty	(Jeff Meyer)

> TIMESPIRITS #5 [C]:
>
> This beats Dr. Who any day, but I've a few questions.  I'm not a Jimi Hendrix
> fan, and so a lot of this story went by me.  Anyone who is wish to expand
> upon how well this story deals with his life/death/style?

Wish I could answer that, but while I'm a Hendrix fan now, I wasn't in the
late 60's. And I really only know him through his music, so I have no idea
how the story matches up with the man.

> BLUE DEVIL #15 [C-]:
>
> A bit too much of a slug-fest for me, but I'll bet that *I'm* the ONLY person
> to notice that the tourists are the SAME tourists to appear in Goodwin &
> Simonson's classic MANHUNTER story, "Cathedral Perilous"!  Ha Ha!  Eh...
> what's that?  Where?  In Boyajian's reviews?
>
> Crap.

That's the biz, sweetheart.

If it's any consolation, I never did write a letter to the comic, so someone
else will probably get the glory.

Well, maybe if you're extra special nice, I'll let you be the first to mention
that they also show up in the latest THOR (oooops...) :-)

> BLACK DRAGON #3 [D (all accountable to the author)]:
>
> Oh, damn.  After two issues of interesting, if rather low-key, medieval
> adventure, and restraint on the part of the author, it looks like Claremont
> has gone off the deep end and given into his worse impulses.  Corrupted
> innocence. Perverse desires. Satanic rites. Frenzied sex. Yup, it's MAGIC all
> over again, but more so.  A real disappointment, as this was beginning to
> look like something that could stay around for awhile.  Dark Claremont,
> indeed....

Dark Claremont?? You must have read Heidi McDonald's excellent article in
THE COMICS JOURNAL.

> TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #3 [F]: This was barely cute the first
> time.  Now, it's just boring.  No redeeming value whatsoever.
> My last issue for sure.

Aww, you're no fun...	:-)

> ALBEDO #3 [C-]:  Erma Felina's plot slows somewhat, but the samurai rabbit
> improves somewhat.  I met Felina's author, Steve Gallacci, at the place I pick
> up my comics (they tend to greet me with a lot of enthusiasm there; it's nice
> to be *somebody's* benefactor ("Here comes Moriarty!  We won't have to
> send our babies back to the sea!"))....

Fiend! I almost died laughing from that line. Do that again and I'll recite
my favorite Ung poem.

--- The Reigning Master of Jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (07/18/85)

> From: moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer)

> X-MEN #197 [D-]:
>
> This might well mark the X-Men issue I finally got pissed enough
> at Claremont to think about taking this book off the list (yeah, I
> know, not until after #200...).

While I wouldn't go *that* far, yeah, this was one of the worst issues
since...well, since...well, since the Kulan Crap story 5-6 issues ago!

>  Several things get me right off:
> Kitty has turned from an interesting, three-dimensional youthful
> character into some caricature of a new-wave hipster.  The
> majority of her dialogue no longer talks about how she feels; it's
> used to remind us how cool she is, the Spider-Man wisecracks, the
> tough talking from the side of her mouth.  Apparently we need a
> 16-year-old version of Wolverine to bring sales up, eh, Chris?

Right on the dot. Kitty used to be one of my favorite characters. Now,
she seems like something of a stranger. A result of her experiences in
Japan, maybe? Whatever's the cause, I don't like it.

> SOLOMON KANE #1 [D-(?)]:  Sorry, Jerry, but next to the Chaykin's
> MARVEL PREMIEREs of the same story, this pales in comparison.
> Chaykin made lines like "Men shall die for this" so starkly
> menacing that I am unable to judge how good this version is -- I
> just know it to be far inferior to Marvel's previous effort.

Well, I took a look-see at the previous version, which Chaykin drew,
but Roy Thomas scripted. Chaykin's art was certainly more powerful
than Blevins' is here, and the scene you describe certainly stood
out because of Chaykin, but Thomas added too much extraneous horse
puckey to the story, whereas Macchio did pure Howard.

> SUPERMAN ANNUAL #11 [B]: I have little to add about Moore's
> writing; I would note that Gibbons is one of the few artists who
> seems able to draw Wonder Woman looking like an Amazon.

Not as long as he draws her with both.....ah.....um....oh....

tracts of land!! :-)

> THE ORIGINAL E-MAN #1 [B-]:  I think this has to have one of the
> freshest new issues around... it makes me hope for good things
> from Cuti in the current E-Man book.  A really delightful style....

As I understand it, the "current" E-MAN is under suspension for at
least the length of the reprint book's run. But, yeah, that there's
good stuff, wot?

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/04/85)

> From:	fluke!moriarty	(Jeff Meyer)

> THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN #106-108 [C - A-]:
>
> Every six months, the net in general (and Jerry Boyajian in
> particular) is due a big thank-you from me, and here it is: THANK
> YOU!  for pointing me to this comic.

You're welcome.

> THOR #362 [C+]:

> I don't really care if Simonsin leaves the
> art chores of THOR -- I just want him to continue on the writing.
> In fact (though I may be tossed to the wolves for it), I find his
> previous art much superior to his THOR work, particularly in
> BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (one of the few comics superior (in this
> case, much superior) to their TV source).

While I do not want him to stop drawing THOR, if given a choice between his
drawing-and-not-writing it or writing-and-not-drawing it, I'd choose the
second. I agree that his art isn't up to what he is capable of, but I still
like it. I also very much agree about his BATTLESTAR GALACTICA work --- ahhh!
the Cylon Mark III ("there *is* no comparison").

> BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #28 [B-]:
>
> OK, another addition to the Alan Davis fan club -- the art here is
> *great*!

Good, I'm glad you've finally been won over.

> Good dialogue and good-to-middlin' story by Barr; and I
> really do like to see The Batman portrayed as kind of a crazed
> vigilante in this book -- it's an interesting change from his other
> appearances, continuity or no continuity.

I never minded Barr portraying Batman as slightly off his rocker, but I always
felt that he had Bats doing things that were totally out of character. I have
to admit that since the Kobra storyline started, Barr's been managing fairly
well.

>  And a nice turn-around
> gutsy play -- The Batman says "Go ahead -- make my DAY" (with an
> incredible face by Davis) to a guy holding a gun on *him*.  Try that,
> Clint.

Yes, it was nice, but it was already done by Chevy Chase in FLETCH.