[net.music] U2 rating

tfilm@ihuxn.UUCP (M. E. Lindenmeyer) (01/26/85)

How does U2 rate with the currently popular rock groups?  I would
appreciate an objective comparison between this group and other
popular groups like Duran Duran, for instance.

jrathman@uokvax.UUCP (01/29/85)

	First off, U2 cannot be compared with Duran Duran by anyone
	having the least bit of taste and decency.  Duran Duran is
	a classic example of yet another "pretty boy" group that
	makes dull, stupid music in which looks and appearance count
	much more than musical content.  Just watch their idiotic
	videos and you'll see how seriously they take themselves
	when in reality their songs are horribly weak and lifeless.

	U2, on the other hand, is a group with a conscience.  Their
	music is fairly simple yet very distinctive.  They have some
	strong opinions on various issues and believe they can actually
	make a difference with their music.  And even if you don't
	care for "message" songs (songs having some "deep meaning"), you
	can enjoy U2 just for the great musicianship.  Bono is one
	of the best rock singers in the business right now, at least
	in my modest opinion.

				     Jim Rathman
				     Norman, OK

ryan@fremen.DEC (02/18/85)

Objective comparison?  We're talking about music here; there is no such
thing as objectivity.

However, objectively, anyone who dares to mention Duran Duran in the same
sentence as U2 deserves banishment to net.music.mtv.

	Objectively yours,
		Mike Ryan

Lear@SEISMO.ARPA (02/21/85)

Mike writes

> However, objectively, anyone who dares to mention Duran Duran in the same
> sentence as U2 deserves banishment to net.music.mtv.

Well, Mike. In my opinion, Either you're being sarcastic or you have lost
your objectivity.  If you are being sarcastic, WHY?

					Eliot Lear
						[Lear@RU-BLUE.ARPA]
-------

dave@garfield.UUCP (David Janes) (02/21/85)

In article <615@decwrl.UUCP> ryan@fremen.DEC writes:
| However, objectively, anyone who dares to mention Duran Duran in the same
| sentence as U2 deserves banishment to net.music.mtv.

Well, you just did, good-bye!

dave
-------
David Janes
Internet:	dave@garfield.UUCP
UUCP:		{allegra,ihnp4,utcsrgv}!garfield!dave

ryan@fremen.DEC (02/25/85)

Excuse me for not announcing my sarcasm; the :-) just slipped off somehow.

Why  sarcastic?  Somehow,  asking for an objective opinion in this newsgroup
seemed  like  such as easy target I couldn't resist (I mean, comparing U2 to
Duran Duran?). Oops, I did it again.

Needless  to say, I greatly prefer U2's music to Duran Duran's. Sorry if the
Duran*2  fans  are offended - I'm not judging people's musical taste. I just
don't  like  that  particular  band. You can't accuse ME of being a snob - I
like Joan Jett! (Should I put a :-) here?)

While  we're  on  the  subject,  I'll  throw  in  my  two cents worth on the
Prince-Hendrix debate. Although I think putting Prince in the same league as
Hendrix (who, as has already been said many times, was a very innovative and
influential  musician) is off-base, I enjoy Prince's music more than most of
the other music currently on the pop charts.

	Mike